Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Yup - Cruising has it right. Just looked it up before I saw that post.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
Mine (a 1500 MS) has non-resistor plugs, DP6EA-9's, gapped .040" and indexed. Indexing definitely seems to be worthwhile on these motors.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
This site is Harley's but the info and pictures apply to our Vulcans. And they sell 12mm indexing washers that are hard to find.

YourOilShop - Spark Plugs and Indexing Washers And Amy really exists and is very nice to deal with.

"Indexing" is installing the plugs so that where the side electrode is welded to the shell is on the outside of the combustion chamber and the "open" side of the electrode is toward the center so the spark isn't blocked/shielded by the side electrode. I had 12 new plugs on the shelf and installed them one by one and checked how they installed. If it lined up correctly I left it in, if it didn't I tried it in another hole. The 12th plug indexed correctly in the last hole. Or you use indexing washers to augment or replace the plug's washer to get the plug to install indexed correctly. Some motors don't seem to care if the plugs are indexed, our 1500/1600 Vulcans run noticeably nicer with indexed plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts