Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 Wheel Addiction
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the garage to head off to work, and I noticed my rear tire was flat. Sure enough, I spin it around and I see that I have a screw in the tire just about in the middle of the tire. I have never had a flat, so can anyone tell me if plugging the tire will work/stay and is that a safe option long term? The tire has a lot of tread and life left so it would be nice to be able to keep it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've had 3 car tires plugged in the last few years and have never had an issue with any of them. I guess if you can stand the look of that that ugly tar-like tumor on your tire, you could give it a try. I don't think I have the guts to try it on a MC.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
Others have recommended taking the tire off and having it patched from the inside. Or you could always put a tube in it.
If you are looking at a long term solution this is definately the way to go. I have used plugs in my motorcycle tires, but in the rear only and if they are towards the middle of tire and if I am planning on replacing them soon.

:cool:

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
You can plug it but my manual says speed is limited to 80mph. Internal patch is the best way for a long term fix. I got hole in the rear tire the first 300 miles when I bought my bike. I used the opportunity to throw the stocker away and get a better tire.

·
2 Wheel Addiction
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll just go ahead and get a new tire, since I'll be traveling on it soon. I can always patch it once it's off and have it for a spare for later on. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts