Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an 88 zx600 and the problem is that the rpms stick when ever i rev it. It has a good idle, between 1-2K but like i said the rpm's stick when ever i rev it. Sometimes it will go back down to a good idle but sometimes it stick around 4-5K. Heres what i have check/done to the bike.oh and the bike sat for about 5 yrs, oh and im running a jet kit with a vance and hines exhaust with pod filters for the carbs.

-New spark plugs
-cleaned the carbs (i can see through all the holes and adjusted to correct float hight set all air/mix screws to correct turns)
-checked throttle and choke cables
-checked compression (180-190)
-new gas
-checked the wire harness and even re taped the whole thing.

Now im completely stuck... im to the point of taking it to a stealership...:( plz guys i really need some help here.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
turn your idle down to 1000rpm BEFORE playing with anything else... if the idles to hight it messes w/ all kinds of stuff... if it still hangs with the idle turned down to a 1000rpm then turn your pilot screws OUT till it comes to idle quickly/smoothly....- if ya have to go beyond 3 turns out then pilot is to small)

make sure the grip isnt hanging up on the switch pod or bar end,

make sure throttle cables are lubed and throttle snaps closed

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Roll on to full throttle (engine off) then release the throttle and make sure it snaps back to idle position crisply. If it doesn't, check the throttle cable for binds/kinks or sharp turns in it's routing and lube the cable. If it still has problems, check for a hanging slide in one of the carbs. If none of the above resolves the problem make sure all the carbs are seated in the holders good and the clamps are tight. Then get some starting fluid and with the engine at idle start spraying it all around the carb holders (intake manifolds). If you hear the engine surge then you found an air leak that needs to be fixed. A good idle should be 1000-1200 rpm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys i really appreciate it. Ill try screwing out the air/mix screws... i Actually thought if i screwed in the air/mix screws it would = less fuel being sucked in, at least thats what i thought the problem was being that to much fuel was being sucked in. Thanks for the suggestion of the starting fluid around the boot Stargate but iv already tried it and their was on change in the idle.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys i really appreciate it. Ill try screwing out the air/mix screws... i Actually thought if i screwed in the air/mix screws it would = less fuel being sucked in, at least thats what i thought the problem was being that to much fuel was being sucked in. Thanks for the suggestion of the starting fluid around the boot Stargate but iv already tried it and their was on change in the idle.
SCREW ON AIR BOX SIDE CONTROLS - AIR FLOW
SCREW ON ENGINE SIDE CONTROLS - FUEL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts