Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than a helmet, do you wear any protective gear? If so, what is it and what are your impressions?

I own a leather riding jacket and rainsuit, but don't have anything with extra padding or armor. I'm curious to see how many on this forum use the protection we should all have out there.

Thanks for your thoughts!
--MK

·
Registered
459 Posts
DOT, and if possible, Snell approved helmet. Snell only does full-face, I understand. You can lose up to a pint of blood from your hands. Wear well made, thick, with extra palm/finger padding, in a leather glove. Boots are a must. They should be light, 2mm leather, with an oil resistant sole & padding in the ankle area. Armor in the jacket is also extremely important. Racers use it, yet there aren't too many trees, cars, telephone poles, fences, rocks & steel guardrails on the race courses. Many of the injuries are caused by the little distance between the seat & the ground, and how you land. Then there are the above mentioned obstacles.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Could ride without a helmet, however I chose to wear a DOT approved one. I also make sure to wear proper shoes and long pants. In summer it gets a little hot to wear a jacket all the time. You never know when it might rain. I keep a rain suit in my saddle bag. I also carry a half cover for my bike. I try to ride to work as much as possible and you never know when it might rain in sunny Florida.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
DOT helmets....Full leathers with padding in shoulders, elbows, lower back...riding leather boots...padded leather gloves...and raingear in the saddlebags just in case.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Full face flip helmet or open face with shield, depending on weather, combat boots, jacket with padding and jeans.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I always wear a helmet. I am thinking about going to an open face but so far am a full face guy. I always wear jeans, no shorts. I wear leather jacket, chaps and gloves when it is cold. Have been known to wear a snowmobile suit when it gets too cold, but I think those days are over. I don't feel the urge to ride that cold anymore.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Full face hemet
leather jacket
jeans
boots
gloves

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
well, ok, i guess i'll be the bad guy. i wear a non-DOT helmet and whenever i get the chance, i go without. as aften as possible, i will wear my leather jacket, but won't hesitate to take it off when it is warm. same with the chaps, they are on when it is cold. 99% of the time i wear jeans and steel toe work boots, but there have been times that i wear my shorts and sneakers from work to the gym. i always wear gloves and usually wear goggles as opposed to glasses. once my fairing is on, i may go back to a full face helmet, as i was raised to wear one and i do feel better with it on. it depends on the buffeting difference with the fairing. ok, let the beatings begin....

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
ispeed77 said:
well, ok, i guess i'll be the bad guy. i wear a non-DOT helmet and whenever i get the chance, i go without. as aften as possible, i will wear my leather jacket, but won't hesitate to take it off when it is warm. same with the chaps, they are on when it is cold. 99% of the time i wear jeans and steel toe work boots, but there have been times that i wear my shorts and sneakers from work to the gym. i always wear gloves and usually wear goggles as opposed to glasses. once my fairing is on, i may go back to a full face helmet, as i was raised to wear one and i do feel better with it on. it depends on the buffeting difference with the fairing. ok, let the beatings begin....
No beating from me David . I wear a filp up(not for protection for warmth in the cold weather) Usually wear a leather half helmet all other time's ( above 50 degrees) leather jacket , chaps, an gloves when its cool, boots usually but tennis shoes some times. Just jeans an t-shirt when its hot. I've got to be comfortable when riding. The wife's the same way. How some of these members can ride with full leather's an full face helmet in AZ. in AUG. is beyond me, But me personally, I would have a heat stroke.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
How some of these members can ride with full leather's an full face helmet in AZ. in AUG. is beyond me, But me personally, I would have a heat stroke.
now that's what i'm talking about !!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Basically the same as Ispeed77, but I never wear shorts. I like to be comfortable. State law requires that you wear a dot approved helmet here, but I am moving out of state in about three weeks to a state that does not require a helmet. Will probably still wear one though. Can't wait to cruise the Vulcan into uncharted territory.

·
Registered
67 Posts
snell helmets

Snell only does full-face, I understand.
I thought this also, but when I asked at my dealers I found that Shoei and Nolan both make a 3/4 helmets that are snell approved. I wear a flip -up full face around town and std. full face on trips ( quieter and more wind protection).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Full-face helmet, gloves, usually jeans, almost always wear my armored jacket. It's hot in summer, but not that bad when i'm moving. I'd rather be hot than lose my skin. Always wear boots, wanna find a better pair. Any boot suggestions? Please list by brand at least.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 88 zx600 so I dont know if I apply for the poll, although I do mostly just cruise. I wear helmet, armored leather jacket and gloves.. hi-tek boots.. :razz:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was also thinking about picking up a pair of "Draggin' Jeans" made by Aerostitch. They are set up well for abrasion resistance. For just a bit more, one could pick up a set of chaps.
Ride safely.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wear a leather jacket and leather pants along with leather riding boots, leather gloves and a DOT full face helmet.
For the warm weather, I wear a ballistic armored mesh jacket.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Full Face Snell Helmet (would love to use a baseball cap instead, have ridded w/o only 2 times in the last 2 years due to emergencies)
Jacket (no matter what, with CE approved armor)
Jeans or riding pants
Boots (Oxtar)
Gloves

It is tempting to want to feel the air in your face, especially in a cruiser but then .....

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I wear an appoved full face helmet, leather jacket, jeans, riding boots and gloves. If the weather is really cold I wear chaps. My riding gear in the summer is same, just unzip the jacket part way amd unzip the sleeves to allow airflow.

Heather

·
Registered
159 Posts
Safety First

Hi All:
2002 VULCAN 800 CLASSIC
Arai Astral X full face. Bugs hurt, so do guard rails
leather jacket, jeans boots and gloves. I dont care how hot it is. I open zippers, airvents as much as I have to and try to keep moving. If its too hot, I go home or go someplace where its cool till it cools down outside or ride when the sun goes down. Wearing shorts, sneakers, tee shirts, ETC. your gonna look like a TUBE STEAK if you ever go down. Skin takes a long time to replace. YOU CAN JUST GO BUY ANOTHER JACKET. JEANS ARENT EVEN TUFF ENOUGH BUT THERE BETTER THAN NOTHING. And dont let that pretty little thing sit on the back of your bike with shorts and flip flops and a halter top. It may look real good but your gonna have to live with the outcome if heaven forbid you have to lay it down with her on it. not a pretty sight. For me, either she rides like a bike chick or she dont ride. Usually skydivers dont jump out of a plane without their parachute or other safety clothing. Remember, its not the fall that kills you, its that sudden stop. And if its your face that stops you, your gonna want a full face helmet between you and the object it hits. Guys and Gals, riding is a sport. Get into it the right way. Do things right. they dont sell all this safety equiptment and leather just to make you look tuff. It all has a prupose. Plus, the older you get, the slower you heal. Also, some insurance companies are taking actions where they wont cover you fully if it is found that you were'nt wearing protective clothing at the time of the accident just like some automobile insurance companies are'nt covering policy holders if it is found and proven that they were'nt wearing a seat belt. Like flying an airplane, riding is not for everyone. Only the serious and safety conscious. THINK !

1 - 20 of 53 Posts