Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

What is the max distance you are comfortable driving in a day?

• 0 - 150 miles:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 151 - 300 miles:

• 300 - 500 miles:

• 501 and above miles:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a few weekend 3 day road trips in the upcoming months. With only three days I am kind of limited on my distances. I would like to know what you feel comfortable with driving in one day. Thanks for the help and feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
500 is the long edge of our comfort range when Marilyn and I are riding 2-up. I'll do 700 when I'm riding by myself, but it makes a pretty long day

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I've done 500 in one day riding to Daytona for bike week and then done 500 back after spending a couple days there. I've also done an iron butt ride as well.

From my various extended weekend trips, what I've found to be comfortable for me is planning somewhere around 200 to 300 per day if it's two-lane riding. Doing that for 3 or 4 days in a row takes it's toll on me and by the end, I'm ready for a break.

It really just depends on what YOU are comfortable with though. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great looking bike! Without hiway pegs and a windshield, I'd probably wear out at 350 or so... The wife & I consistently do 450's with a lot of twisties to keep it interesting, but it took a while to get her backside toughened up. (lol)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
500 is the long edge of our comfort range when Marilyn and I are riding 2-up. I'll do 700 when I'm riding by myself, but it makes a pretty long day
That's pretty good Jake. I'm still in the 300 range and only since I've gotten the mustang seat with the driver backrest. Still have a problem with my throttle hand going numb but I've learned how to keep flexing it. Guess it all depends on what your gloot can tolerate and the comfort of your scoot. My max has been about 320 with one stop over a 4+ hr period.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
My longest ride this past summer was about 350 miles. Most are in the 120 - 150 mile distance. Super slab does wear you out and you tend to not pay enough attention after the 2nd to 3rd day of it. And that's not good. The longest I have ridden (30 years ago) was about 800 miles. Can't (won't?) do that again.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I voted on the 300-500.
It also depends on conditions,(by myself or two up), weather(rainy or a lot of wind or cold), type of roads(interstate,single lane,or twistys).
We rode 650-700 per day for three days in a row when we went to Sturgis....It really was no problem but the scenery was interesting and it was great. We did the same thing on the way back from Strugis and it was miserable (different route and long flat boring highways....and very hot temperatures).
Anyway...distance do not bother me as long as it's interesting,and not too hot or very cold.

·
Lookin' for a sunny day!
56 Posts
On three day rides I'll ride a long ways the first day and last to get to and come back from an interesting area. The middle day is usually about half as long to stop and look at the area I'm visiting.

Week long rides tend to have a day or so without a whole bunch of riding. Maybe hang around a pool at a motel, or just cruising around, having nice leisurely meals, and not having to be anywhere.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Like REFUGIO, depending on the weather, I can do 500 miles in around 9 hours. I rode from SoCal to Las Vegas (280 miles) in around 4.5 hours and I felt good enough to back. I stopped a couple of times for gas and a leg stretch.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
It is easier than you think, 300-400 is a very relaxing trip. We do a lot of road trips so here's how we do it. We like to do something other than ride so just piling on miles doesn't mean much. We always have a destination and try to get there without wearing ourselves out. If we are in scenic territory, we stop alot. Example #1: Phoenix to Zion NP Utah to Bryce Canyon to Monument Valley to home... 1300+ miles. We rode 435 miles the first day. Out west it is 2-lane roads, no traffic and beautiful scenery. It was a snap and we were in our hotel by 4:00 PM. Day 2 rode to Kolob Reservoir and toured Zion NP about 150 miles, Day 3 to Bryce Canyon was less than 100 miles, Day 4 across the Hogs Back to Torey Utah and then past Capital Reef and through Glen Canyon to Monument Valley about 350 miles. Day 5 back to Phoenix 250 miles.
Example #2: Business trip Phoenix to Denver. Had only planned to ride to Moab, Utah, but I got there very early and rode on in to Denver, 876 miles, 13 1/2 hours. This was an amazingly easy ride. Unlike a car, you do not tire riding your bike. I made the return trip non-stop also leaving at 11:30 AM and pulling into the garage at 1:00 AM. That was a great ride.
Both of our bikes, my 1600 and her 800, have stock seats and neither of us ever have any butt pain. We are both over 60 so if we can do it, so can you.
It is normal for us to take day rides of more than 300 miles. AZ has some beautiful scenery and we do a couple of those very month. Evening rides after work are often 100 miles and weekend trips are 5-600 miles.
We are heading up to Las Vegas and then through Death Valley in Feb. Will also ride the Valley of Fire near Lake Mead on the return.
If you have a destination 5-600 miles away, get up early and go. It is easier than you think. This will open up a lot more interesting places for you to visit. Enjoy the ride!

·
Can You See Me Now?
325 Posts
On our trip to Sturgis, we took a lot of breaks and did roughly 375-400 miles first day, and a little over 400 on the 2nd, both ways. The wind across Wyoming made it rough!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would like to see how many UK Riders would be happy doing over 500 Miles in a day over here. Not many, The traffic/roads and amount of concentration you would need would tire you out a lot quicker !!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I rode 400 last May with the uncomfortable stock 900 seat. Like CootoronScooter said a lot more miles are clicked off using interstate.
I have a good friend near Houston (approx. 725 miles) and have thought about riding there this summer.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I agree DeepPurple. If you map out points of interest and stop to enjoy the scenery, the time will go by very fast and you won't feel so worn out.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I voted 300 to 500. All depends on if I'm focusing on my destination or not. I love to "take it easy" and just sight see, take pics, and stop for a cup of coffee. I'm not into pushing myself, and if I am, 500 is plenty for me in a day.

·
Registered
157 Posts
well me and a buddy r gonna do the wild hogs ride from baltimore to cali and back, tryin to click off 600 miles a day.we are gonna head out rt 70 to rt 66 then i dont know where from there, we r both on vn2000's

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
well me and a buddy r gonna do the wild hogs ride from baltimore to cali and back, tryin to click off 600 miles a day.we are gonna head out rt 70 to rt 66 then i dont know where from there, we r both on vn2000's
On the 2k's you'll be able to do 600!:smile:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts