Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The higher the ratio of coolant to water (up to a point), the higher the boiling point protection of the mix. However, the lower the ratio of coolant to water, the better thermal capacity (ability to remove heat) of the mix. Distilled water, with a WaterWetter-type product, has the highest ability to lower coolant temps, but gives the lowest boiling point protection.

Taking the preceding opposing facts into account, what ratio seems best?

Also, note that Water-Wetter-type products are less effective as the amount of antifreeze increases. They are most effective mixed with distilled water

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
How about whatever the Owner's Manual suggests?
It seems like the Japanese engineers might know what's best.
They give recomendations based on worst case scenario. People in warmer climates will benefit better cooling with lower anti-freeze percentages. I run 25% with water wetter in the summer and go back to 50% for Wisconsin winter storage in an unheated garage.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about whatever the Owner's Manual suggests?
It seems like the Japanese engineers might know what's best.
I have an old air-cooled KZ...
This is a general question, not specifically related to my bike. And my Cobra, with its crate engine, has no manual!!

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
On a toy like that that probably stays in a heated garage and is a fair weather ride I'd run distilled water and water wetter.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Check the chart on the antifreeze jug and mix for the lowest temperature you expect to see. If your bike will never be below freezing, use distilled water with a corrosion inhibitor.

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
Taking the preceding opposing facts into account, what ratio seems best?
For what? Running in what weather conditions? In traffic? Open road? Race Track? etc? etc............

There are too many variables to answer your question as it is.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I would personally only use a 50/50 mix of a quality coolant and distilled water.

But its your engine, so do whatever you like.

Seems that your leaning towards waterwetter, so if thats your wish, then make it so.

I was given some of it to try years ago.
Gave it a try in a car, drained and refilled the cooling system a month later, and threw the rest of what I was given out.

Its just not for me.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
How often should you change the coolant in a bike? Mine is just over a year old with about 7000 miles and I not touched the coolant.

·
20,826 Posts
How often should you change the coolant in a bike? Mine is just over a year old with about 7000 miles and I not touched the coolant.
With average use, every 2 years is good.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well, I guess mine's due. Is there a specific coolant that it needs, or will Prestone 50/50 premixed work?

·
20,826 Posts
Well, I guess mine's due. Is there a specific coolant that it needs, or will Prestone 50/50 premixed work?
It should be fine, and while i am 99.9 % sure it will say aluminum compatible on the jug, just read it to be sure.

And you can do as you wish to obviously, but I do not pull the drain plug, I instead pull off a hose to drain the coolant.

I am picky and a perfectionist, so will not go into the details I do when I drain a bike, but at least getting most of it out will help substantially, and that alone should get most out.

It helps if after done running out, you at least stand the bike up straight, and then tip it a little the other way off its stand, if your doing this on its side stand.
Just be careful to not step in it on the floor while doing so as coolant is very slippery stuff.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts