Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has sat for 2 years, I had the carbs cleaned, a complete tune up, and changed the tires... When I went to ride it, it was ok in first, but then when I tried to put it in second, it popped back into nuetral... Tried a few more times, did the same thing... So then I tried skipping 2nd and going straight to 3rd... Still poppes back to nuetral..
I have a 1992 ZX6D ninja, could someone help me please.... SO that I dont get jurked when I take it to the shop...
What parts are needed, or whats broken?
Thanks in Advance
Pops out of 2nd goes into nuetral

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRY THIS

TRY THIS
SHIFT into first and gradually pick up speed and then when you shift into second hold the shifter up (don't release it) when you let out on the clutch and just keep building on some speed and hold it there in second gear for about a half mile (warming up the gears and such inside) when you release the shifter it should stay in second don't put much strain on it just cruise there, eventually do the same for third....and Please let me know if this works...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried that when I first road it... HOlding up the gear in second... but it still went back in to nuetral.. The dealer ship seems to think its the shift fork... But they just want my money... do you know anything else it could be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same prob with my 88 zx6... I could not downshift to 2nd it would just pop out.... it was the shift fork... I never got around to fixing it.... I just got rid of the bike..... got a zx7r now.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SHIFT FORK

Seems to me we had the same thing last month...and they had to go in and replace a shift fork...Sorry, I can't remember how long ago it was...I can chase electrons, but taking a transmission apart...I haven't tried that yet...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts