Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider - PA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got Ruby out of the barn after the 52" of snow melted from those dang blizzards that hit the NorthEast a few weeks ago.

Took 'er down to the house, and did a fast once-over to check for those pesky mouse nests you have a habit of finding in vehicles that have been stored in say, a barn.

Having had snowmobiles that sucked crap down the carbs before from these critters, I figured I'd better check the air cleaner on the 900.

Never having popped the air cleaner cover off (have had dealer services so far for majors), I really didn't have any idea how tightly the cover seals. Once I got it off, I noticed about a tablespoon of oil in the bottom of the cover.

The system appears to be a dry filter setup; and yep, I've searched the forum. Getting different answers all around.

Don't think it's been overfilled with oil, and has been serviced according to the book - it's now due for the 12K service.

Anyone have an opinion or actual experience with this on a VN900?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
You might have some stuck rings. Yamaha makes a "Ring Free" additive that should loosen up the rings.Have you checked the compression? Little to no blow by?

·
Registered
251 Posts
As the crankcase breather vents directly into the airbox, some oil coating the inside of the plastic at the bottom is pretty common. But I agree with MFolks that any larger amount is most likely the result of blowby. Could be stuck rings, could be worn out rings. Does the engine smoke any?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
One other thing to add to the advice already given. I know you said you don't think it's been overfilled with oil but you need to be positive on that. One thing I hear of often from bikes sitting prolonged periods is that for whatever reason (petcock failure, float valve failure), the carb/s get overflowed with fuel and it ends up draining into the crankcase giving it and overfilled effect. Once it's overfull, some of the excess will get pushed up into the airbox through the crankcase breather tube.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
A little oil in the air cleaner cover is normal for the 900. Get a small air filter from the auto parts store ($8), disconnect the hose from the back of the air cover and insert the new filter. You can loosen the hose clamp at the back of the front cylinder to rotate the hose/filter upward under the fuel tanks which lets the splashed oil drain back to the crankcase. Overfilling the oil increases the problem but it will always be there since the gears are slinging oil around. The auto store also has rubber caps to block off the nipple in the air box. You'll get a whiff of crankcase blowby occasionally when running hard so if you can't handle the smell you can route the filter under the bike. Do a search, this is an old much discussed topic.

·
Patriot Guard Rider - PA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys. I did a search on the problem, but it never hurts to hear other opinions.

What threw me with this is the filter is on the high side of the bike - really inaccessible for a "drip" type leak. She's been sitting since Dec., has been started every couple weeks since then to keep 'er freed up, and had all the standard winterizing stuff done before storage.

I'm not seeing any blue smoke/exhaust; runs smooth. The air filter should and will definitely be changed out.

I'm taking her to get inspected this evening a short distance away (about 2 miles) and I'll pull the cover again. I'll post what I find.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
. She's been sitting since Dec., has been started every couple weeks since then to keep 'er freed up, and had all the standard winterizing stuff done before storage.
I'm guessing your just starting/idling it for a few minutes without riding it?
Prolly nothing more than a bit of crankcase venting and some extra condensation. My 900C did the same, as did my Nomad.

BTW- both of my bikes were really sensitive to oil fill levels. Make yourself a block to put under your kickstand so your checking it the same way every time.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
It's a drip type type leak. Oil gets splashed in to the crankcase vent hose and sucked in more as you work the throttle. The oil slowly drips in to the air cleaner cover since much of the hose runs horizontal after leaving the fitting at the crankcase. Excessive oil is from blowby, but for the 900 a little is normal due to a not so good design.

·
Patriot Guard Rider - PA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I can breathe a bit easier. :mrgreen:

Apparently from the couple of startups (enough to get past getting the engine warm, but not going out for a romp - mostly due to 4 feet+ of snow...) some blowby did occur. When I pulled it the first time, I cleaned the oil out the interior of the air cleaner cover.

Took 'er for a run out to the local shadetree mechanic's place to get the annual inspection (gotta love a state-certified farmboy with an inspection license - they work for reasonable dollars rather than a high priced stealership), then went for a short ride. Got back, pulled the cover, and not enough oil to cover both ends of a Q-tip. Cleaned that out, and will get a new airfilter this weekend.

Whew.

<note to self: Next spring, pop cover and sop up oil from cover.>

Thanks for the replies, guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts