Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the spring weather here is so warm, dry and very conducive to riding (sarcasm alert!!!) I thought I would start drawing up some maps for a possible ride this summer. My thoughts are to head south into Utah and ride through Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion National parks and then head down to the Grand Canyon. From there, I may dip way south into Tucson to hang out a couple days with my brother and work my way back up. The return trip would include Petrified Forest, Mesa Verde in Colorado (My girlfriend also has relatives near there that like to ride), and then head up through Moab and hit Canyonlands and Arches. I would then wind my way around some alternate routes and end up back in Missoula.

This trip is in the early phases right now, so the route is not definite. Heck, me being able to go is not definite at this point, but I would like to make it happen. Anyways, I was wondering if anybody in any of these areas had any ride feedback, route ideas, or must see/stay/eat at places that I can't miss. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Google Maps - Missoula, MT to Tucson, AZ and Back

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Highly recamend it, very nice riding. Also hit Cedar breaks while in the area. You could run around from St George to the Navajo bridge on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, did it a couple years ago was a nice ride.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Get a National Park Pass, best $85 you'll spend. East end of the Grand Canyon NP - I recommend overnight at Cameron. You'll want to spend at least a couple of days at Mesa Verde and Arches. Side trip that doesn't take up too much time is Hovenweep and Natural Bridges, worth going to northwest of Mesa Verde. It's going to be hot, especially in the canyons like Zion and any down canyon walks you might make at Bryce. Not unusual to get into triple digits that time of year. Got more but part of the fun is finding out stuff for yourself.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Working on the National Parks pass. I am definitely going to get my money's worth this year, even if it's just going to stuff in the area. Glacier and Yellowstone are most definitely on the list, and there's lots of others within a days ride.

My girlfriend has family in the Pagosa Springs area, so I will probably spend a couple days in that area. Her brother-in-law rides too, so probably some good opportunities. I have been down that way a few times, just never on bike, so this should be a blast.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip with lots of pretty places to see. It would be nice to motorcycle through the parks for sure. But for me, to enjoy the parks means to get off of the road and onto the trails and when possible perhaps some fly fishing as well. Being on a motorcycle prohibits me from doing these things so I much prefer to make those kinds of visits via a car. I hope you will be able to find some time while in our national parks away from your motorcycle...no offense intended. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Working on the National Parks pass. I am definitely going to get my money's worth this year, even if it's just going to stuff in the area. Glacier and Yellowstone are most definitely on the list, and there's lots of others within a days ride.

My girlfriend has family in the Pagosa Springs area, so I will probably spend a couple days in that area. Her brother-in-law rides too, so probably some good opportunities. I have been down that way a few times, just never on bike, so this should be a blast.

It would be real easy to spend a couple of months riding in that area.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it would be a week minimum, depending how far south I go and if I hang out with relatives or not. I'm betting it would be a fun ride in about a week to 10 days, depending on how much sightseeing.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Marilyn and did the southern Utah National Park tour the week before Red Lodge last year. Saw enough of most places. Would have like to spend a couple of more days at the Arches and didn't get into Canyonlands at all.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I think it would be a week minimum, depending how far south I go and if I hang out with relatives or not. I'm betting it would be a fun ride in about a week to 10 days, depending on how much sightseeing.
hmmmm, you thinking about camping it or motel?
I gotta look at my schedule.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funds permitting, hotel would be best. I am not opposed to camping out, but if I do, I like to stay in a hotel probably every third day or so. Always nice to get a real night's sleep and a decent clean hot shower.

Gene, lemme know if this is something you wanna do. We should get together sometime soon and start scheming.

·
+2 Ring of Invisibility
137 Posts
bigjoe was from utah. He was the guy tht brought his quad and his m/c to rl last year. shoot him a pm. i'll bet he knows where to go.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Steve - if you get to the Albuquerque area let us know. We'd be happy to ride with you a ways. Could probably even find you some dinner and a place to sleep.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve - if you get to the Albuquerque area let us know. We'd be happy to ride with you a ways. Could probably even find you some dinner and a place to sleep.
Thanks! I will keep you posted and let you know if/when I swing down that way.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Funds permitting, hotel would be best. I am not opposed to camping out, but if I do, I like to stay in a hotel probably every third day or so. Always nice to get a real night's sleep and a decent clean hot shower.

Gene, lemme know if this is something you wanna do. We should get together sometime soon and start scheming.
I agree, this Friday is finally looking like a winner in the weather dept.
Maybe we can start discussing it with a ride n lunch.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Works for me. Let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts