Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing a thought here. This morning I had a SUV ridin' my butt hard in a residential area. When I waved him off he took offense and zoomed around me and did the slow drive by glare as if he wanted to fight.

Seriously?!?! WTF!

So I was thinking, how to I get that out to as many people as I know and let them know...when I am on motorcycle and you in car...you are the enemy. I don't care who you are...you are dangerous to me.

This is what I posted to my facebook...

To all friends, understand I mean this in the most constructive way. When on my motorcycle, EVERYONE in a car is an enemy. You have crush zones, air bags, seatbelts. Safe in a cocoon of steel, your life’s in the hands of safety engineers. On my motorcycle I rely on my wits and eyes, I make my own safety. Too close? I will wave you off. Crowding me? I will use my horn. Please do NOT roadrage because a motorcyclist wants more room from your deadly vehicle.

It is like 60 characters too long so I had to put the last line in a comment.

What I am thinking is, telling all my friends they will look out for you. If you tell all your friends...maybe they will look out for me. We really need to tell those who listen to us how we feel. If I tell a stranger they will just blow it off.

Anyway...there you go.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I don't think they are the enemy. I know the dangers of getting on a bike and I just try and be as defensive as I can.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
99.9% of people on the road don't give a rats arse about you, me, or anyone else besides themselves. And I'm afraid that calling them on it doesn't matter either.

I ride with the belief that they are all out to get me, every single idiot behind the wheel of their 5000 pound death machine......I gave up a long time ago trying to think of ways to get them to change, or to hope they would change. They won't, they won't ever care about me on my motorcycle, or my Wife, or my riding buddies, or have the slightest concern that their idiotic and selfish behaviour behind the wheel might very well end my life or the life of one of my loved ones.

I don't fear them, nor am I scared when I ride...but I am also not niave about their time proven intentions.

·
Lapa user
852 Posts
99.9% of people on the road don't give a rats arse about you, me, or anyone else besides themselves. And I'm afraid that calling them on it doesn't matter either.

I ride with the belief that they are all out to get me, every single idiot behind the wheel of their 5000 pound death machine......I gave up a long time ago trying to think of ways to get them to change, or to hope they would change. They won't, they won't ever care about me on my motorcycle, or my Wife, or my riding buddies, or have the slightest concern that their idiotic and selfish behaviour behind the wheel might very well end my life or the life of one of my loved ones.

I don't fear them, nor am I scared when I ride...but I am also not niave about their time proven intentions.

+10000

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't do the facebook thing, but.... to think of cagers as the enemy is to assign them a role that is totally in your own head, and sets up an attitude or mindset that you project onto them. This is like saying the ocean is vicious or the wilderness is out to get you. They're not, they're indifferent to your presence. Learn to deal, and let go of your negative energy, you'll enjoy life more..

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Don't do the facebook thing, but.... to think of cagers as the enemy is to assign them a role that is totally in your own head, and sets up an attitude or mindset that you project onto them. This is like saying the ocean is vicious or the wilderness is out to get you. They're not, they're indifferent to your presence. Learn to deal, and let go of your negative energy, you'll enjoy life more..
Sorry, I just don't agreee. I would never attribute human qualities to the ocean, wilderness, or the animals that live in either...and if I had an unfortunate meeting with one I would not be able to hold a grudge.

However, humans should know better. To an extent I guess, they are indifferent to my existance...that is part of the problem...people just don't care, they don't pay attention, they don't respect others that they have to share the roads with, and they rarely put a thought past what they alone are trying to accomplish each and every time they get behind the wheel.

I am far from a "negative" person, but my experiances in life have taught me to be a realist if nothing else. In my humble opinion, if I didn't step outside the door every day with the mindset that every fool in every vehicle has absolutely no respect for the small piece of blacktop I occupy....then I would be doing a dis-service to my well being.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Nature doesn't care because it can't...humans don't care by choice.

Anyway...not going to shoot down your attempt to get the word out sable. If reading that makes someone look twice and saves a single motorcyclist's life...it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I say enemy because I believe in never trusting them. I don't trust the old lady at the 4 way that wants to wave me through out of turn, I don't trust the SUV pulling up beside me, I don't trust the people merging three lanes over.

You expect an enemy to do something, you expect an enemy to attact. I ride in that mindset all the time. I expect everyone to weave into my lane...I expect someone to run that red light.

If I were to treat them like humans...and give them the benefit of the doubt...I'd be hurt many times over by now.

Maybe not everyone rides that way. Oh well.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I think if I get the word out to my friends, they will at least think about what I've said when they see a motorcyclist.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Are they trying to kill you? Yep. Are they consciously trying to kill you? Not any more than a hurricane or earthquake is. You'll be a much happier rider when you understand that they won't change just because you want them to so you might as well protect yourself the best you can. And btw ****ing off someone with 3000 pounds of protection around them may not be the best way to protect yourself. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't consider cagers to be the enemy at all, I consider myself invisable to them.

When you got a guy up yer tail, don't get mad, pull over and let him go by.

There is no place for anger riding. No matter what the cagers does you are having a better day.

Fighting from a bike to a cagers is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Just don't ever do that. Yer gonna loose.

Once I had a old blue hair geezer back out ahead of me, and so I had to lock the brakes pretty much burning rubber with the tires still turning. Stopped, I yelled, the old ticker never heard a sound, he backed more stopped, looked right at from 3 feet away and STILL didn't hear or SEE me... He turned and I was forced by the double yellow to follow him on a road posted 45, at his 20, all the way to the dump, with his right signal flashing.

The dump was a left turn.
Now I could have been urinated off. I could have gone roaring around that next bend, but if I did I would be dead, because i wouldn't have seen the 30 therabout Turkeys.. I almost didn'ty see them anyway.

If you are urinated off, it is time to get off the road...

bloomin nanny :D

·
97 Vulcan 800
22 Posts
I say enemy because I believe in never trusting them. I don't trust the old lady at the 4 way that wants to wave me through out of turn, I don't trust the SUV pulling up beside me, I don't trust the people merging three lanes over.

You expect an enemy to do something, you expect an enemy to attact. I ride in that mindset all the time. I expect everyone to weave into my lane...I expect someone to run that red light.

If I were to treat them like humans...and give them the benefit of the doubt...I'd be hurt many times over by now.

Maybe not everyone rides that way. Oh well.
I'm the same way I even use it for my signature every time I ride in town someone at least starts to pull out in front of me before seeing me and then stops. But we know this before we get on a bike so I live by the belief everybody's trying to kill me.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I don’t feel like everyone else is the enemy. I don’t feel a constant sense of paranoia that they're trying to kill me. I just always keep the following 3 points in mind when I'm on the bike:

A) Many people are stupid.
B) Many people are jerks.
C) I'm the vulnerable one on the roadway.

Since many people are stupid, and because I am the vulnerable one on the roadway, I know its MY responsibility to pay attention to what THEIR doing (or may do) and to ride accordingly. Granted THEY should be paying attention as well, but they don’t, because they're stupid.

Since many people are jerks, they do things like purposefully cut me off, tailgate, don’t let me merge into the lane ahead of them even though its my turn, etc., and because I am the vulnerable one on the roadway, I ride accordingly. I know its in my best interest not to antagonize the offending driver as he could easily end my life by doing something stupid (at which point that person becomes a "stupid jerk" :lol: ). Jerks are usually people that for one reason or another are unhappy inside, and instead of letting em bother me, I pity them and have faith that karma will eventually catch up with them for their actions.

Keeping all that in mind, I refuse to let the stupid people and the jerks get in the way of enjoyment of the ride.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting perspectives everyone has...good to know that I am not only paranoid one also...LOL.

I am not saying that drivers in cars make riding no fun...I am also say that I fully agree that my safety is in my hands. But I guess I come at it from a mentality that keeps me focused...to each his/her own.

·
Model Citizen
208 Posts
A person is intelligent, people are stupid. Be on your guard at all times.
I treat bikes with great respect when I drive my F150. In fact, they usually notice and stay hanging around me because they know I acknowledge their existence.
8)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There are a lot of boneheads out there, but I don't believe they are in the majority at all. I also don't think of cars as the enemy. I've been crowded and cut off plenty of times, but I've also seen cars wait at stop signs for incredibly long times just so I could pass. I figure it all balances out, so I don't worry about it. The risk of riding is mine, and I made that choice on my own, so it's up to me to protect myself. I'm not relying on anyone else to help with that job.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
There are a lot of boneheads out there, but I don't believe they are in the majority at all. I also don't think of cars as the enemy. I've been crowded and cut off plenty of times, but I've also seen cars wait at stop signs for incredibly long times just so I could pass. I figure it all balances out, so I don't worry about it. The risk of riding is mine, and I made that choice on my own, so it's up to me to protect myself. I'm not relying on anyone else to help with that job.
Oh, you noticed what I was doing :biggrin: I started doing that when I started talking to and hanging around people who ride. I am certain that if I talk to my friends about the concerns of motorcyclist, they will be more careful when they see one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts