Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend and I headed out today heading down to Natchez to begin mile zero of the Natchez Trace. We had all day. Ran into a few sprinkles on the way, then south of Wisner, LA, we turned onto a side road so I could show him another artesian well, one of several in Louisiana. He and I have "discovered" one already - this would be the second.

As we pulled off the rural road, the rain began. No lightning, so we stood under some trees for shelter. I had rain gear but he didn't, and I was wearing jeans and steel-toed tennis shoes, so I didn't bother gearing up. After 20 minutes of waiting, we gave up and began riding again, in the deluge. We rode some four miles to the end of that road when he pulled off again, this time because his eyeglasses were basically too wet to see through (it was raining hard). We were less than 30 miles from Natchez at this point, but the rain wasn't letting up. At the first stop sign we came to (8 miles later), he said he was ready to give it up and go home. We turned back north and ran with the rain for some 35 minutes before popping out ahead of the front.

Altogether, some 160 miles, about 60 of that dry and the rest soaked. :mrgreen: Still a good day, though.

Funny, once you are thoroughly wet, you really don't care. But, I think it was the right thing to do today. We have time....

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Yeah riding in the rain sucks. Its better though when you wear your rain gear and you're dry. LOL Make sure you post pics when you get to do this ride again!

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,306 Posts
Funny, once you are thoroughly wet, you really don't care. But, I think it was the right thing to do today. We have time....

Sounds like you made a good choice. Life is all about making decisions. :)

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
The rains in Louisiana have a way of sneaking up on you. And when it gets you, it don"t want to let go. A friend was killed about 2 weeks ago, the funeral was this past monday. Yep on Memorial Day. Since he loved to ride a couple of us decide to ride our bikes in his procession. It was a beautiful sunny day with a 20% chance of rain, which is almost nothing. So long story short, 30 minute ride to grave site. Sprinkles the last 10 minutes. As soon as grave side servises were complete, we got the full 20% of rain. No rain gear, everybody dressed nice, clear skies in the distance. After about 30 more minutes we decide to head back home thinking the storm was basicly done. We got on I10 and headed west, got between towns where there are no overpasses or exits and found another heavy 20%. Like you said, we were soaked and decided to just push through and get home. We made it home just in time for the rain to stop and have clear skies. So as one of the riders pointed out, ya we got rained on but at least we don't have oil rain yet!

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, 20% is daily around here.

Funny, some of the oil-cleanup crew have been on local t.v. and they ask "Does it rain here [in Louisiana] EVERY day?" And the answer is pretty much, yes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts