Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a new bike and until yesterday when I visited my local dealer I had not considered the Vulcan but here is where I am at. I looked at and am very interested in a 2009 Vulcan 900 LT black on blue. I currently own a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and I am ready for a bigger bike. I was wanting something 1100 or bigger but was told by the dealership that the 900 has more horsepower than for example the 1100 V-Star. My wife and I both really love to ride and I would like to have a bike that is powerful and comfortable enough for the both of us to make 200-300 miles trips with all our big V-Twin owning friends, but is still suitable for my experience on a bike, but I can grow with and not tire of in a few years.

I guess what I would like answered is: is the 900 LT suitable for long rides on both highway/backroads with two riders? Is it a comfortable bike on such long rides (I am 6' 190 and my wife is about 5'4" 120)? My biggest concerns with the 750 I currently ride is its power with two people, its power at higher speeds, and its length (being 6' I feel cramped on it. I would really love any input I can get please!!

The Fuzz

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Recent thread on this.

My opinion done short: the 900 is great for lots of stuff but as a two-up tourer, it'll be good but not great. Together you're less than I weigh, though, and the only place I found it lacking was 75 mph on the superslab.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
The 1700 Nomad is nice if you're going to buy new.
ETA: I like the mean streak!

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the primary use is going to be long two up rides I'd go with something bigger. My wife and I ride two up on the 900 occasionally and it does just fine. We weigh quite a bit more than you. It's a great bike and a real workhorse but it's not a two up touring machine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am looking into buying a new bike and until yesterday when I visited my local dealer I had not considered the Vulcan but here is where I am at. I looked at and am very interested in a 2009 Vulcan 900 LT black on blue. I currently own a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and I am ready for a bigger bike. I was wanting something 1100 or bigger but was told by the dealership that the 900 has more horsepower than for example the 1100 V-Star. My wife and I both really love to ride and I would like to have a bike that is powerful and comfortable enough for the both of us to make 200-300 miles trips with all our big V-Twin owning friends, but is still suitable for my experience on a bike, but I can grow with and not tire of in a few years.

I guess what I would like answered is: is the 900 LT suitable for long rides on both highway/backroads with two riders? Is it a comfortable bike on such long rides (I am 6' 190 and my wife is about 5'4" 120)? My biggest concerns with the 750 I currently ride is its power with two people, its power at higher speeds, and its length (being 6' I feel cramped on it. I would really love any input I can get please!!

The Fuzz

Us 6+ footers are cramped on everything. The Vulcan 900 is no different. The pegs need to be about 6" further away as do the handlebars. But every bike is like that (PLEASE SPEAK UP IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING I DONT!).

As far as power, yes and no. For under 70mph cruising 2 up the bike does ok. I would like more power when I crack the throttle but it certainly isnt sluggish. Even up and down mountains it does ok.

Over 70 the bike just plain blows. And 2 up its even worse. Shakes, vibey engine, not very well grounded, sluggish, constricted, ect... You get the idea.

With that being said, I do love the bike. And it is CERTAINLY better than anything in the price range.

EDIT: After reading my post I make it sound like the bike sucks. That is not true. And lower speed cruising solo (backroads) the bike is great. Even 2 up the bike is good. It's ONLY over 70 that the bike falls short.

·
08 900lt
64 Posts
I love my 900lt and ride 2-up alot. But after 22k miles, riding highway 2-up with luggage would be hard. go ahead and get a larger bike. Gf is going 2 buy a bike or i would be trading up, probably a gold-wing. just my 2-cents worth

robert

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the timely feedback guys! I think I am going to go look at a Vulcan Classic 1600 tonight>

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Thanks for the timely feedback guys! I think I am going to go look at a Vulcan Classic 1600 tonight>
As a 900LT owner with about 36K on the Odo. If you want to do a lot of 2 up then you're going down the right path now looking at the 1600. I love my 900 but not if I was going to do a ton of 2 up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the primary use is going to be long two up rides I'd go with something bigger. My wife and I ride two up on the 900 occasionally and it does just fine. We weigh quite a bit more than you. It's a great bike and a real workhorse but it's not a two up touring machine.
+1, I love my 900 Vulcan Classic, but have to admit it needs a little more HP in the two up category. This is expecially true on the highway at +65 mph.

·
Reborn Biker
89 Posts
VN900 LT is a great bike! It is MY first bike in many moons. We (wife and I) 2 up al the time. Plan on 200-300 mile rides. Have done many shorter runs with no probs. I am also over 6'. (6'4"). I had to get the engine guard and highway pegs for the long legs thing. Together we push the 375lb. mark, and the bike handles great. I'm not concerned witht he all out power of this bike at 70+. I works good for us, and I don't regret getting it.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I have the 900 and go 2up very often and so far no issues. The bike has enough power for pretty much any type of riding. Is not the fastest but is not the slowest machine either. I learned on a 2006 750 shadow and the 900 would be a good way to upgrade.

The 900 LT was name the middle weight light tourer so that pretty much says it all. If you plan to cruise long trips often then consider the Honda 1300, Kawa 1600 or new 1700 or anything along that level. I wouldn't go lower than the 1300 though. The 900 has as much power as the 1100 sabre.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, thank you all for the input. I put a deposit on a 2005 Vulcan 1600 VN tonight, so long as the bank cooperates it is mine!

·
You bought a WHAT?!!
1,503 Posts
My son and daughter-in-law ride their 900 everywhere...and at every chance they get. They had no trouble keeping up with the rest of us last weekend on a ride up to Mt. Cheaha, and it included time on the slab.
Where that bike really shines is slow touring and it's surprisingly nimble in the twisties.

I used to own the 900 and loved it, but I ride bigger now...that's my choice. If you ask my son, he'll tell you in a heartbeat the 900 is one of the best things to happen for him and his wife. I feel the same about the 2K but I'm bigger and the 2000 just fits me.

Just be sure you don't get caught in the trap of buying a smaller bike than you really want. Ride the 900 on the highway and in the hills before you buy it, just to be sure it meets your needs and gives you the wind therapy you want.

Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
...I would like to have a bike that is powerful and comfortable enough for the both of us to make 200-300 miles trips with all our big V-Twin owning friends, but is still suitable for my experience on a bike, but I can grow with and not tire of in a few years.

I had the V-Star 1100 several years ago. Excellent bike for back roads and under 60 mph, but on the freeway, not so good. It would cruise all day at 75 but it was way too buzzy, and within just a few months I wanted something bigger. I moved up to the Vulcan 1500 and for the most part I've been happy. But I ride one-up and I wouldn't want anything smaller.

The 900 from what I've read is a good bike, and it's very popular on this forum, but I suspect its popularity has more to do with the size of its frame than with its engine. It actually has a longer wheelbase than the new 1700, which allows guys your size (6 ft.) to really stretch out... But it's still only a 900cc engine.

If you've been riding a 750 and you're looking to move up, considering the kind of riding you're planning (2 up) and your size, I wouldn't advise anything smaller than a 1300, and if you can afford to (safely) go larger than a 1300, go larger. More displacement means more power and more comfort.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Great bike for one up, but it does make for a workout riding two up. I have ridden two up for a 200 mi one way trip and it seemed to do alright but it was taxing on the engine running at 70.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
I had an '06 900LT for four years and just six weeks ago upgraded to an '08 Nomad 1600. My thoughts:

900LT is a great bike, certainly better than anything remotely near its size. Longer than the Shadow, more leg room, more arm room (hard to explain, but different angle of the handlebars), more power, more quickness, larger tank for less fuel stops, simply more comfortable. Not quite as good mpg, though.

But, for two-up, the 1600 is different as night and day. Longer wheelbase, more comfort (especially for passenger), about 180 pounds heavier for smoother ride, more power, much better cruising RPM's especially on interstates. I could cruise at 75 for hours with the 900LT, but you could feel it, especially with the higher RPM's. The 1600 cruises at 75 and you feel as if you are going 50 mph or so. Much more relaxed, much more comfortable. Test ride both for several minutes @ 65-70 and you will see.

Shadow to 900LT, great upgrade.
900LT to Nomad 1600, also great upgrade.

Skip the middle and go for the bigger bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Again, thank you all for the input. I put a deposit on a 2005 Vulcan 1600 VN tonight, so long as the bank cooperates it is mine!
I didn't see this before posting my 2 cents.

Congrats! Excellent choice! The nicest looking of the Vulcans, IMHO. And coming from a 750 are you in for a treat! :)

Be safe,

Windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts