Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have 2 kx85's...one is an 04...it is stock and has about 10 hours on it....the other is an '05... it has had the top end rebuilt by blocker racing and the compression is about 150:1...it has an fmf pipe which looks like a stock header...the rear sprocket has 2 more teeth than the '04...it has been riden alot more...ok heres the question...on the 04...you can feel a distinct power band...it flat out gets it...the '05...doesnt really feel like its getting into the power band...more like a slow gradual pull...does anybody have any ideas?? the engine sounds smooth...just like the '04
thanks rusty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gearing? did blocker racing port the cylinder or machine the head?
i dont know...i didnt do it...i looked for a web page but couldnt find one...i a new to this...is blocker racing well known????

i thought about gearing....the little sprocket has the same amount of teeth...the 05 (no power band) has 2 more teeth on the big sprocket...shouldnt that make it quicker?
thanks for replying

·
Registered
407 Posts
ok i have 2 kx85's...one is an 04...it is stock and has about 10 hours on it....the other is an '05... it has had the top end rebuilt by blocker racing and the compression is about 150:1...it has an fmf pipe which looks like a stock header...the rear sprocket has 2 more teeth than the '04...it has been riden alot more...ok heres the question...on the 04...you can feel a distinct power band...it flat out gets it...the '05...doesnt really feel like its getting into the power band...more like a slow gradual pull...does anybody have any ideas?? the engine sounds smooth...just like the '04
thanks rusty
You've verified the '05 had good compression, so the top end is good, how about some more simple checks? Does the '05 have a clean sparkplug? How about dirt in the carb or verifying correct jetting (should be somewhere very close to stock ) That '05 should be noticeably quicker in acceleration, and have a harder hitting powerband than your '04 simply from the 2 teeth larger rear sprocket gearing. Lastly there could be an issue with the exhaust power valve not opening correctly. This will cause a very flat midrange

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've verified the '05 had good compression, so the top end is good, how about some more simple checks? Does the '05 have a clean sparkplug? How about dirt in the carb or verifying correct jetting (should be somewhere very close to stock ) That '05 should be noticeably quicker in acceleration, and have a harder hitting powerband than your '04 simply from the 2 teeth larger rear sprocket gearing. Lastly there could be an issue with the exhaust power valve not opening correctly. This will cause a very flat midrange
thanks to everyone for their inputs...if i didnt say it...i do cars...bikes are new to me...i am a big boy...325lbs....when i bought them...i stashed them at my buddies house...he is about 200lbs....i told him he could ride it and let me know if there was anything wrong with it...after riding it...he said the bike was "awesome" and fast.....then i buy the stock 04...stash it there too....tell him same thing....ride it and let me know how it is....he calls back and says...this bike is insane...pulls the wheels off the ground in when it hits the powerband...so eventually i go and ride it...the 05 to me...never hits the powerband...but....it did still feel like it was pulling and i was goin pretty fast...i figured because im 325lbs...this bike is struggling....so i get off...hop on the 04...and man what a difference...when the power band kicks in...you better be hangin on...even with my fat butt on it...but sound wise...they both sound great....the spark plug looks like it could be changed...air filter is an aftermarket recleanable of some sort and appears to be ok....now...the exhaust is something that i question...stock header pipe with fmf shorty...even though it sounds ok...i wonder about them....no reason except that backpressure is a big part of it...when i had both bike running at idle...side by side...i put my hand over both exhaust pipes at the same time and they felt about the same....again...thanks for any replys...even if it sounds stupid...im willing to listen...thanks again rusty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess when you say exhaust power valve...your refering to the engine exhaust valve?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.