Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 MS and I'd like to install Samson ripsaws with a stock drop in K&N filter. Does anyone know if a map for this combo exists or something close? I'd hate to fork out mucho $ and not be able to make it work. This is my first FI bike and I want as few bugs as possible. Thanks in advance, -Rob

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
i assume their is already a pc3usb on the bike

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have the PC III with V&H Straight Shots (PC's map) and a cleanable UNI filter installed. The UNI didn't change how the bike runs so I'm thinking that the K&N won't either.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I have a 2006 MS and I'd like to install Samson ripsaws with a stock drop in K&N filter. Does anyone know if a map for this combo exists or something close? I'd hate to fork out mucho $ and not be able to make it work. This is my first FI bike and I want as few bugs as possible. Thanks in advance, -Rob
While a K&N filter can increase air flow a little bit more than stock, the main thing reducing airflow is the intake tube which has a bunch of bends in it. Because of that, just changing the stock filter to a k&n isn't going to boost intake airflow enough to require the use of a custom map. A custom map might help with some decel popping once the new pipes are added, but thats about it. A new fuel controller map really comes into play when you add an aftermarket hi-flow intake which pulls in the air from the right-hand side of the bike, completely bypassing the restrictive stock intake tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I understand this correctly, I don't need the power commander with an aftermarket exhaust and drop in replacement filter. In my days of carb equipped bikes, you would have to re-jet the carbs, adjusting the fuel curve. I would assume that the PC does the same job and it would be needed, no?

·
1,175 Posts
If you look at the maps on the PC site that BillyBobby gave the link to, most of the ones that are not a map for a bike with an 'aftermarket intake' (like a BAK, Hypercharger, etc.) say "for stock or aftermarket air filter". This is because an aftermarket drop in filter alone (such as a K&N) does not change the amount of air being pulled in to really require mapping adjustment. Those maps are pretty much prevent popping from the aftermarket exhaust pipes, and possibly give a tiny bit more aggressive of a map and/or smooth things out.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Want as few bugs as possible? Do not install a fuel processor. It is a pseudo-performance part and does nothing but cause problems. Wait... I can hear the screams already!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Want as few bugs as possible? Do not install a fuel processor. It is a pseudo-performance part and does nothing but cause problems. Wait... I can hear the screams already!

It sure doesn't do as much as it should for the amount they cost (especially the PCIII).

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the ripsaws. Best pipe there is for the mean streak. They look and sound the BEST of any pipe on the meani.

·
1,175 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the ripsaws. I think they are the best pipe there is for the mean streak. They, in my personal opinion, look and sound the BEST of any pipe on the meanie.
Fixed it for you. ;)

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Good thing thing you didn't mention performance. Some might find less performance than stock disappointing.
Less performance? :shock:
You mean my MS with V&H Propipe could perform less than stock? :confused:
(Haven't had the bucks yet for a PC & Air...)

Those maps are pretty much prevent popping from the aftermarket exhaust pipes
Do one really want to get rid of the popping? :tongue:
They are the reason I want to live... :biggrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anamosity, thanks for posting a pic , gives me a really good idea what the pipes will look like on mine. I spoke with a local shop who is pretty knowledgable on FI bikes and he said in his experience, the temp is measured before the pipes are put on, and then after. If the temp is too high (lean mix) the a PC is needed, but he said and it's been said here as well, a PC isn't mandatory. My mods I'd like to do are the ripsaws with a drop in K&N air filter as I like the looks of the stock covers and I feel that an aftermarket air filter sticking out might cause some leg clearance issues with me. Thank everyone for giving me your $.02 on this one. Keep the shiny side up!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts