Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hook Um
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking on getting the cobra swept exhaust and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a power commander....dealership says the bike will run like crap without one.

·
18,096 Posts
All I can say is I have the power commander III on mine at I have no troubles. Its dyno tuned and I don't even think about it anymore. No problems or adjustments. Its just in there and she runs good.

For all the info (and more opinions) than you could ever want play around with some searches for fuel processor, or power commander, or big 3 and see if you come up with more readin than you care to do.

·
18,096 Posts
Possibly more importantly..... is your bike even fuel injected??? Post your bike in this thread, maybe with some PICS!!! and you might get some more detailed advice. Good luck!

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Looks like a 900 Custom in the profile pic.

The usual rule of thumb is if you only change the pipes or the intake, then you don't need a fuel computer. Change both and you'll need it.

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
If your bike is carbed then they're probably right...it'll need to be re-jetted. If you have FI (fuel injected) than no...you wont need a fuel processer....the bike will automattically adjust to the new pipes. If you change your air intake on a FI AND new pipes then yes...I'd suggest a processer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you do decide to get a pc, then be sure you don't buy the crippled California version (unless you live in California and have no choice). It's called the EX version and doesn't allow modifications to the fuel/air mixture until you get quite a bit further up in rpm's.

You'll want the "race only" version.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
I agree with most on hear, if you just do one then you don't need the PC III but if you decide to go with one check out Fuelmoto. If you tell them what set up you have, they will download the map for you. I did that with my Street Bob after installing pipes and intake and it works great.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are 2 other choices that work on injected bikes the Cobra fuel modual and the Dobeck TFI. These cost less than the PC III and you don't need to map with a down loaded version.

Since there is no O2 sensor the PC III is over kill in some things, and that does mean dyno runs for the PC III, and a lap top pc.

·
Hook Um
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so it seems the dealership is only trying to get $. So what most of you are saying is ...
If i buy just pipes, then i dont need a pc...

I have a 900 se just like adamsr2001's avatar. It is FI'ed.

tendofreak...your saying that the bike will automatically adjust to the new pipes?

I'm nervous about this, I keep hearing different stories.
Id rather just be able to buy the pipes and put them on myself than have to pay for something I dont need. I just want more sound. Thought about doing the whole debaffle thing. I've heard another 900 custom debaffled and it didnt seem much louder than stock to me.

There arent a ton of options for the se (black pipes), and I love the look of the cobra swepts.

I gotta make a decision by this weekend.

Thanks for all the input....now just talk me into doing just the pipes!

·
Registered
237 Posts
No not really.... These bikes tend to run overly lean, and it is better to add a fuel mod and nothing else if that is all you will do.

Any other change can result in PING... PING is a cause that eats metal. If an all stock bike PINGS then ot needs a fuel modual whether or not anything else is done.

The dealer expects once the exhaust is a done deal that the bike may ping, and so they want to cover their themselves.

If i were the dealer, or your tech I would reccomend the fuel modual too. In fact i would want a release signed to install pipes and not also install a fuel modual.

I made a typo in my first reply that was garble, re-read that please.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most any make newer bike will be over lean due to EPA spec. A PC III, TFI, or Cobra can all be a nice add on, if you don't do anyother add ons at all.

If you run with after markeket air and exhaust, these become must have items.

I am a Nomad guy, having owned an 01 and now a 06. I run the TFI on the 06 as i did on the 01.

I run more or less the cadman, just on one side, a sort of mix with the coyotte set up, and V&H baggers. With the TFI I can run 87 octane which i do all the time and I have no ping, and far better preformance than stock, and get better MPG's too boot... A win win if you ask me.

I think the PC III is a bit steep price wise for a bike with no O2 sensor, but it works well enough. I am not into computers much, and so don't own a lap top, or a note book. Getting my bike close enough to this old desk top isn't going to happen.

Do they even make USB cable 50 feet+ long?

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Not needed so long as you're just changing exhaust. When you get into the intake side, then you'll need to add fuel to compensate for the increased airflow.
Do search 'marbleing' or look into removing the EPA 'afterburner' when you install the pipes. With aftermarket exhaust you will have backfiring on decel if you don't disable the EPA crap.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
I think the PC III is a bit steep price wise for a bike with no O2 sensor, but it works well enough. I am not into computers much, and so don't own a lap top, or a note book. Getting my bike close enough to this old desk top isn't going to happen.
Having (or not having) an O2 sensor has nothing to do with this. A TFI seems to go for around $210, a PCIII $260. A downloaded "closest" map in a PCIII will give you a bike that runs better than the best you can tune a TFI. You can get the PCIII pre-programmed for your app., just install the PCIII. If the thought of installing a PCIII scares you beacause you don't want to ever mess with downloading a different map or you don't have a clue about EFI mapping or you don't mind having sooty rich areas you can't tune out, get a TFI. A lot of forum member deal with the magical mystical PCIII just fine and have better/nicer running, cooler running bike as a result.

·
18,096 Posts
Most any make newer bike will be over lean due to EPA spec. A PC III, TFI, or Cobra can all be a nice add on, if you don't do anyother add ons at all.

If you run with after markeket air and exhaust, these become must have items.

I am a Nomad guy, having owned an 01 and now a 06. I run the TFI on the 06 as i did on the 01.

I run more or less the cadman, just on one side, a sort of mix with the coyotte set up, and V&H baggers. With the TFI I can run 87 octane which i do all the time and I have no ping, and far better preformance than stock, and get better MPG's too boot... A win win if you ask me.

Do they even make USB cable 50 feet+ long?
YOu can get a cable to take your PCIII off and hook a 9 volt battery to it and then hook it to your desktop to prevent having to get a 50' usb cable.

Just sayin....I got one if anybody needs it :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well I don't know.. TFI in the day was under 170 buckos.. Mine is soldered in. I was around for Bosch D Jet, L jet, K jet aka CIS, and LH. All these are, are 1970 vintage D jets made over in Japan.. Vulcans have stupid computers... Both D and K jet systems wer stupid systems. K Jet was the first to have a O2 sensor, and since then about 1984 all injection I am aware of anyway has a O2 sensor.

Before that BMW cars use webber or solex side draft carbs, and Volvo, MG, and Triumph used SU carbs type 4 and type 6. I personally knew a Bosch injection engineer...

Since I never had a PC III I was given the idea that the PC III liked a O2 sensor.... A way to tell what the fuel to air mix is.

My TFI works just fine. My 06 nomad used to get up to 48 MPG's till I installed a car tire. Now it gets up to 44 MPGs.

All I was doing was give options.

In order to scare me any, you pretty much need to point a gun at me, and a lot of newbies with guns have accomplished that.

No one here wants a less ex*****ive option and I am cool with that.... I see all you guys are loaded with EL Bucko's. ok..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts