Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at tring to get a little more power out of my 02'1500 Classic FI but I don"t want loud pipes. My 800A that I just sold to buy the 1500 had cobra slashcut system/carb-kit/k&n filter and it ran GREAT! Around town it was fine,and I must say it helped in being noticed in traffic, but to me at 65-80 mph out on the open road the sound became anoying after about 100 miles. I read somewhere that you could add a power commander and K&N filter and gain up to 10 HP. Sounds too good to be true but no one at the bike shops seem to think it would be worth the money without changing the stock exhaust. Does anyone make a baffled quiet exhaust that will allow better flow without the noise? Any help would be greatley appreciated!
Thank's,
Lonestar

·
Registered
458 Posts
lonestar

We must be semi-related.

I traded in my 800A for a 2004 Mean Streak and was wondering the same thing.

My 800 had Vance and Hines Cruzers, K&N filter, and jet kit. Way louder than I really wanted, but ran great.

Hope someone out there has an answer.

I wonder if Cobra or one of the folks who make the magic boxes would tell what gains to expect in different configurations, i.e. their box, stock pipes and K&N filter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
O.K., folks, here's your chance to help out some needy souls. I, too, am wondering what I can do to my Nomad without making it too loud. I know the PC people have a map for the stock bike that supposedly increases performance, but I have no way of knowing about this. Someone out there must have done this, right?
Waiting to hear..... :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Calif (smog) 2003 1500 Meanstreak, dyno run was 59.6 hp and 70.3 torque. Added power commander, Thunder Mfg airbox conversion and Hard Krome 2 into 1 Sideburner pipe (4 Inch Diameter). Dyno 73.9 hp and 83.5 torque. Yes, it is loud but it crank's! WWW.thundermfg.com can give you details on hp and torque with different type pipes, they specialize in Vulcan's. One draw back was the airbox sticks about inch further than the stock unit and was hitting my knee (I am 5ft 10). This made a great reason to change my peg's now it's no problem. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
487 Posts
With the powercommander and the new breather you will still get a good increase in performance without changing the stock exhaust. Although you do get more of a increase with after market exhaust. We did the air kit and powercommander on a friend of mines meanstreak and removed the catalytic convertor (goats belly). The exhaust sounds good with the stock baffles and he can't get over how much better the bike runs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Also we used his stock breather cover with a k&n filter and drilled holes in the under side of the cover for more airflow. This eliminated the problem of some breather kits sticking out to far as meanie man posted.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

lonestar,i don't know too many folks running pcIII without some kind of exhaust mod.
like the guys at the shop you talked too i don't think it 's worth it. the whole point of it
is to mod the entire aspiration system from intake thru exhaust and then calibrate the air/fuel
to prevent a lean condition and maximize hp and torque #'s -yes you may gain a little leaving exhaust stock,but i don't think its worth the investment in my worthless opinion :lol:

as far as baffels there are some aftermarket baffles out there but you could prolly make your
own with a little experimenting if the sound is an issue - some pipes really aren't all that loud
until you roll the trottle.-look around at some bikes and take a listen and check different
set-ups-changing or modding exhuast really is a bang for the buck :wink:

·
Registered
458 Posts
vaporgas2000 said:
We did the air kit and powercommander on a friend of mines meanstreak and removed the catalytic convertor (goats belly). The exhaust sounds good with the stock baffles......
Thanks for the info.

A few questions, if you don't mind.

Did you use DynoJet's Power commander?

Any settings for the Power Commander to be aware of?

Did you dyno the bike before and after?

Did you run the bike on an Exhaust Gas Analyzer?

What did you use in place of the "catalytic convertor (goats belly)"? Custom cut piping?

More than a few questions, I guess. :wink:

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
PCIII and Thunder Air Kit does change A LOT your bike. Re exhaust I choose the Muzzy 2 in 1. Not abnoxious during city cruising but great sound when you open gas. I run a Cali MS. After dyno the bike is now running Max Power at 77.1 HP and Torque of 89.6. Muzzy is much more easy for your ears on long and short run than the other OEM 2 in 1. 8) [/quote]

·
Registered
487 Posts
ipscshooter,

yes we used Dynojets Powercommander
Any settings to be Aware of, I don't know exactly what you mean, but the powercommander won't let you burn the bike up.
We didn't have access to a dyno but we downloaded the closes map on thunder mfg website then did adjustments with the pcIII. Then we did seat of the pants runs and adjustments until the bike ran the best through the whole rpm range. I know zx-2r is going to kick my butt for this, as I need to kick my own butt, but we did not keep notes on our adjustments, now I have a new meanstreak and have to start all over with the adjustments again.
We did not run it on a gas analyzer.
I hand made the piping after we removed the goatsbelly. I basically made an X with pipe and welded it in place. It acts the same as a 2 into 1 pipe.

Also you can never ask too many questions, I just wish I had kept notes so I could help you out farther. If I can do any more just let me know.

·
Registered
458 Posts
vaporgas2000 said:
ipscshooter,

yes we used Dynojets Powercommander
Any settings to be Aware of, I don't know exactly what you mean, but the powercommander won't let you burn the bike up.
We did not run it on a gas analyzer.
I hand made the piping after we removed the goatsbelly. I basically made an X with pipe and welded it in place. It acts the same as a 2 into 1 pipe.
vaporgas2000

Thanks for the reply. I know nothing about Powercommanders, but I assumed it wasn't plug and play, because I had read about downloadable maps. I guess by settings, I meant adjustments. Now I know a little more about Powercommanders. :)

It's nice that you have the skills and equipment to make the "goatsbelly" replacement piping. If I had some made it probably would cost me more than an entire set of pipes.

I took a good look at my exhaust last night, and it's too bad someone doesn't make less restrictive mufflers that could bolt right up to the "goatsbelly". That way it would be a snap to change mufflers back at emission check time. I guess you would have to readjust too. Just a thought.

My concens with changing to an after market pipe are excessive (to me) noise and passing emmisions testing. I don't know if the "goatsbelly" is required to meet 2004 emissions or the manufacturer put it on to meet CARB and not the other 49.

Oh well, I shall continue to ponder.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts