Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
lonestar

We must be semi-related.

I traded in my 800A for a 2004 Mean Streak and was wondering the same thing.

My 800 had Vance and Hines Cruzers, K&N filter, and jet kit. Way louder than I really wanted, but ran great.

Hope someone out there has an answer.

I wonder if Cobra or one of the folks who make the magic boxes would tell what gains to expect in different configurations, i.e. their box, stock pipes and K&N filter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
vaporgas2000 said:
We did the air kit and powercommander on a friend of mines meanstreak and removed the catalytic convertor (goats belly). The exhaust sounds good with the stock baffles......
Thanks for the info.

A few questions, if you don't mind.

Did you use DynoJet's Power commander?

Any settings for the Power Commander to be aware of?

Did you dyno the bike before and after?

Did you run the bike on an Exhaust Gas Analyzer?

What did you use in place of the "catalytic convertor (goats belly)"? Custom cut piping?

More than a few questions, I guess. :wink:

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
458 Posts
vaporgas2000 said:
ipscshooter,

yes we used Dynojets Powercommander
Any settings to be Aware of, I don't know exactly what you mean, but the powercommander won't let you burn the bike up.
We did not run it on a gas analyzer.
I hand made the piping after we removed the goatsbelly. I basically made an X with pipe and welded it in place. It acts the same as a 2 into 1 pipe.
vaporgas2000

Thanks for the reply. I know nothing about Powercommanders, but I assumed it wasn't plug and play, because I had read about downloadable maps. I guess by settings, I meant adjustments. Now I know a little more about Powercommanders. :)

It's nice that you have the skills and equipment to make the "goatsbelly" replacement piping. If I had some made it probably would cost me more than an entire set of pipes.

I took a good look at my exhaust last night, and it's too bad someone doesn't make less restrictive mufflers that could bolt right up to the "goatsbelly". That way it would be a snap to change mufflers back at emission check time. I guess you would have to readjust too. Just a thought.

My concens with changing to an after market pipe are excessive (to me) noise and passing emmisions testing. I don't know if the "goatsbelly" is required to meet 2004 emissions or the manufacturer put it on to meet CARB and not the other 49.

Oh well, I shall continue to ponder.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.