Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for input from Vulcan 1600 owners...

I have test rode a 04 Road Star and an 04 Vulcan 2000 but have not been able to test ride a Vulcan 1600.

Realizing the specs show that the Vulcan 1600 lacks a tiny bit in the power department, just wondering if two months from now if I'll regret it.

Just need enough power to make me grin...I now have an 02 Volusia 800. I'm hoping the power the 1600 has is a "step-up." I know I will see a big decrease in RPMs at speed which is a good thing...Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased one 3 weeks ago and have yet to stop grinning :D The most difficult part is keeping it in check for break in :twisted:

·
Registered
15 Posts
1600 power

Have only got 94 miles on my 1600 due to weather. But it just wants to growl. I really want to throttle it up but break in is more important. Perhaps a 2003 owner will chime in with some info. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hey guy's stop babying your engines, following the book means that Kawasaki probably won't have to do any warranty work on your bikes but if you don't run them hard for short periods they'll be leaking oil and lacking power in two or three years.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

having riden all the above the 1600 is a step up in torque over the 800 buy a leap but not really in top speed or from a dig but you'll feel the difference in pull for sure :wink:

but comparing the 2000 to those two is apples and oranges-it is fast for a 800lb bike
and so much torque its just crazy-very sweet machine-but a little tricky at slow speed
crawls :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 1600 classic, plenty of power.
But if you hafta have the biggest, then get the
2000. Its not about size or power, its what you
feel confortable with. You can achieve the same
with a 50cc scooter. The 2000 and the Yamaha
use belt drive if you plan to go the custom route
later it will be easier to get wheels and doodahs.
I prefer shaft drive, less hassle. Whatever you get
enjoy and ride.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think what bob means is run it hard now and then-

don't short shift it - wind it out right much between gears -the kawis like this
run it up to 80-90mph on the interstate on reg basis and hold it there for a little while
don't lug the motor in to high of a gear
just give it a real good mix of rpm's and mph's and be sure and give it power shifts
now and then

don't just cruise around at 50mph all the time like your gonna break it-you won't :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've always thought you should put stuff through the ringer while it's under warrenty :twisted: . Besides who could follow the break-in guide lines? Personally I'd be too embarassed to a teenager on a skateboard pass me up :oops: I've got 2004 1600 classic and I love it. if you gonna get one and do long rides you're gonna want another saddle...

·
Registered
226 Posts
For the most part, I've been keeping in the guidelines but I'll admit to running up to 90 a couple of times. Just to check throttle roll on response in case I ever need it don't you know :roll:
Love it. I do want to add D&G Hardchrome 2 into 1 Sideburners and a luggage rack at some point. Power is plenty enough for the cruising I want to do. A lot more than my last bike which was a 750 Shadow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
dvoiselle: I also owned a 2003 volusia and put approx. 5900 mi. on it before I sold it this March. In March I purchased a 2003 Vulcan 1600 and now have approx. 2900 mi. on it. It rides smoother, is less effected by the wind, definately has more torque, and has more power. You can accelerate to around 45mph in 1st gear. It is not a speed demon, the Honda 1800 will leave it without much effort. It also doesn't handle as well in the parking lot as the lighter and sharper turning vol. All this said I am really enjoying this bike. Most of my rides are to the beach which is about 60 mi. away and on trips is where this bike shines. Back to your question, the 1600 accelerates faster and unless you race it has more get up and go than you will ever want or need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
power on 1600 Vulcan

I purchased a new 03 Vulcan two months ago. I like the bike immensly. It has more than adequate power. A minor drawback is believe it should have a slightly lower first gear. The two overdrives is a bit much also. The second overdrive is useless unless you are going over 70. I only have 550 miles on it so far and I am getting used to it now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got problems ridding around town in 3rd gear. Keep finding myself going 05-10 mph over the speed limit without realizing it.

Have a 55mph 2 lane road running around part of town. In 4th gear crusing 55 is fine however, it seems that it's lugging the engine when in 5th and going only 55mph.

I'm on the interstate daily now & running 75ish in 5th. No problem at all & even this seems a tad to slow.

Have had the bike up to 110 mph & she had lots of throttle left. Ain't taken her any faster & don't plan on it anytime soon.

Think I've got aprox 270 miles on the bike so far. Don't want to run the piss out of her yet, but I hate the break in speeds as they seem to lug the crap out of the motor. I'd rather drive it nice and easy within it's gear range while taking it up nice & easy & then back down slowly. However, I got to admit I ran her hard & parked her hot when we had a call for a SUV Vs motorcycle call today :oops: :oops:

Biker had a broken ankle, some nice road rash (light denim jacket) & a really badly scratched helmet. Da helmet saved his life or at least his brain functions. He should be home tonight 8) 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you folks..but I broke my bike in by riding it like I always do. Seems to me to make more sense. And at a little over 20k miles and no problems I cant complain. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

5th gear is overdrive on this,i never hit it below 55-60
all these kawi's like to be wound up a little-they just run better 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts