Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum but from what I see it looks great! I have an '04 Mean Streak with hard krome 3" big straights and a K&N. Here's my problem: I bought a powercommander to help rid my bike of a wicked backfire at 2000RPM on trailing throttle and also for the other obvious gains. When I hook it up to my laptop the RPM on tach and on the powercommander differ by ALOT. At idle(700rpm), the powercommander module says its at 1800rpm and at 2000rpm(tach), it reads 4000 rpm. Has anyone experienced this or did I do something wrong hooking it up? Also, if anyone has any advice on the backfire help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you block off the pair valve? It's an emission control device that pumps fresh air into the exhaust to lower emissions. If you don't plug this up it'll cause aftermarket pipes to back fire on deceleration.

I have a Suzuki Hayabusa and on that bike they call it a pair valve. When I removed the stock exhaust I removed the pair valve contraption and installed some blockoff plates.

I believe on this bike you need to use something called reed valves or something. The Power Commander will not get ride of the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!!

I'll check into that. I had the pipes installed when I got the bike, is that something they should have done? Any ideas on the powercommander rpm thing? I just don't see how it could be functioning properly if the rpms are out of whack. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have no idea about the power commander thing, but as for the air pump...No the shop wouldn't have capped it off unless you told them to or unless it was a speed shop and they knew to do it.

This is why I try to do as much as I can myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I called powercommander and they said there is an rpm fix utility! So any of you who have one may want to check that! Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I'll order that block off plate this week.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
So did you download the fix? I can't find the utility on their website.

Phatboy

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rpm fix utility is in the Power Commander Database under Kawasaki 2004 1600 Mean Streak. The link is at the bottom of the list of maps. By the way I was able to disconnest the hoses from the Pair Valve (AIS) and use a 39 cent hose spike from the local hardware store to connect the two hoses that go to the cylinder heads to by pass the air induction system and reduce the popping almost completely. I have the Hard Krome 3" staggered which were listed for upto the 2003 but fit perfectly. I also used the Cobra Classic slash cut exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter map M215-002 which seems to work fine. I checked the plugs after about 600 miles and they seem to be burning just right. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts