Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has installed a Powerlet Powerbar to their ride? If so, how do you like it? I am going to use it to power my Nuvi, but will also use it for recharging cell phone and Ipod. They look like they are well built, but kind of pricey. If you have any alternate ideas, I'm up for any other suggestions. Thought this might be a good project for the winter.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Mine doesn't look that nice, but I bought a ciggy lighter socket from Wal Mart mounted on an "L" bracket, then used a "P Clamp" to attach it to the bars.
Total around $40.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich,
I was thinking along the lines of what you did. Did you wire yours directly to the battery, or so it only comes on with the ignition. I have the same Nuvi you do. They carry a power adapter to run it directly off the Powerbar. I really like the looks of it and they say they have one specifically made for the Nomad.

likearock4x4,
I know what you mean. That's a lot of cash for a power outlet. Didn't pay much more for my lightbar. I'll have to give this some more thought. I've found a few other adapters that are a lot less.

·
Riding to Stay Young
343 Posts
Whitehorse Gear sells the PowerLet stuff, plus lots of electrical connectors, etc. Don't know if their web site has everything, but their catalog is a treasure trove.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My experience with Whitehorse Gear

Whitehorse Gear sells the PowerLet stuff, plus lots of electrical connectors, etc. Don't know if their web site has everything, but their catalog is a treasure trove.
I recently purchased a Formotion C mount clock from Whitehorse. This was my first purchase from them. When I got the clock, the blister pack was open and the clock was flopping around in the box. The clock was already installed in the mount, there were no instructions. It looked to me like it had been returned and sent out to me. When I buy something new I don't want someone else's return. I called them and explained the situation. The lady I spoke to asked me if it looked like it had been returned. Evidently this is a common practice with them. I returned the item along with a note explaining the situation and requested a refund. I also told them I won't be buying from them again. Two days later I got a phone call from them. The person was very nice, but told me they only ship new items and the problem was with Formotion packaging. I then asked her how did the clock get inserted into the mount. She explained to me that they have a factory store and someone must have opened the package and inserted the clock. I asked her why did you send out an open item. All I got was an apology. Again she was very nice, but I won't be buying from them again. This just my personal experience,others might have good experience with Whitehorse.

JohnR

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I tied mine into the accessory power leads from the headlight bucket, but I also added a couple of coax connectors down by the stem.
I cut the ciggy lighter adapter off of the NUVI power cable and wired it to a coax connector... much nicer having only a 1ft wire and 1/4" connector.

Mine is hot 24/7, which is nice because I can continue to run the GPS/MP3 player with the bike shut off. Hit the button on top of the NUVI and it shuts off and goes into battery charge mode... draws very little current, but I wouldn't leave it plugged in for a week.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If nothing is plugged in, no power is being drawn from the battery.
The fuse will protect the system if something shorts out.

I wired mine hot 24/7 so I can use it to charge the cell phone while parked, plan a route on the GPS, etc....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought an outlet on a cord and connected it to the acc leads behind the headlight. The outlet sits inside my toolbag on the handle bars.

Do you have any problem with your Nuvi shutting off if plugged in when you start your bike? Mine shuts off and I have to unplug it from the socket and plug it back in. It must sense the drop in voltage when starting the bike.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob,
Thanks for the tip on Whitehorse Gear, have that book marked and will be checking it out later.

traderjaxx,
I came across that one also, but kind on like this one a little better. It's the same one except it screws down.

I just keep coming back to how clean the Powerlet Powerbar looks on the bike.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rich,
Thanks for the info. I think I will also have it hot wired. I like the idea of being able to charge it up when the bike is off. Good to know that I don't have to worry much about it running the battery down. I was a little concerned that I might forget to take it off the bike when done riding for the day. I also want to be able to charge the cell phone and Ipod.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Do you have any problem with your Nuvi shutting off if plugged in when you start your bike? Mine shuts off and I have to unplug it from the socket and plug it back in. It must sense the drop in voltage when starting the bike.
The only time I've encountered oddball shutdowns has been on a trip to Arizona. I think it just overheated... I shut it down and put it in the windshield bag for about 20 miles, hooked it back up, and it was fine.

The 660 has an internal battery, so if it loses power from the bike, instead of immediately shutting down, it blips a screen asking if I want to shut down or not... if not, it continues on battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts