Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and looking for help. I just purchased a 99 Praire 400 4x4 from a backyard bike shop and he informed me it was in need of valve adjustment. He felt valves were held open causing weak compression. I did a little research prior to purchase and found this is a problem with these machines. However now that I own it, found low on antifreeze so added some and water is in cylinder now:mad: . Think someone ran it low and caused damage, not sure if common failure is just head gasket or worse? any advice would be great/ I would like to tear into upper half just wondering anything I should know before I start? Thanks James

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
nope your gonna have to take the top end off and check the head for cracks or warped."machine shop can help you on that one)but you may luck out and just replace the head gasket and may want to replace the rings while your there.also check the cam lubes for wear and pull the intake valves and exhaust valves to make sure they are not worn out.and relap em if they are ok.or if you replace em.

next time you post a thread put in the atv /mule section it will be answered quicker there ,there are alot of guys in that section that have 400s and are willin to help you out -corey-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will post there next time. I tore into upper end yesturday and found head gasket blown out. I dont have a manual and hope everything goes good on reassembly. Dont have torque specs for head and vavle cover bolts? was going to use basic values for diameter of bolt hope good enough?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts