Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

prairie 650 power loss

14K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  StarGate 
#1 ·
seem to be having problems on my prairie 650. After submerging the motor in water i cant get it to run for more the 10 second without a 3 second power loss. I drained the fuel, cleaned the air filter, drained the float bowls, checked the fuel tank vents, and changed the oil. It idles perfectly, however when you give it any more than 1/4 throttle it will rev up just fine for about 10 seconds, then bog down to idle for about 3 second and continously do this over and over. It occasionally will backfire. Any one have any suggestions? Also could you tell me where the fuel filter is and how to check/clean it? I can't seem to find it. Is it in the tank? Thank you very much.

#4 ·
Seems to be running better

Finally got a chance to take off the gas tank on my prairie. I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned the fuel filter that was on the end of it. I swished out the tank a few times with new fuel and put it back on. Seems to run better now. Not any surges of power loss every 10 seconds or so, just a backfire or two. Probabaly getting out the last few drops of that lake water. I noticed as i had the seat and most of the plastic off, that the exhaust pipe right at the bend where it comes out of the motor was glowing red after about 3 minutes of running the motor (standing still, at high and low rpms). Is this normal? Just haven't seen it before. Thanks.

#6 ·
misinformed

Thanks for the info on the exhaust pipe. I think I misinformed you guys on fixing the motor problem. After I tested the quad while sitting still I wrote the post on this forum. Afterwards I secured the gas tank, put on the seat and attempted to go for a spin around the block. No such luck, it still has the same power loss issues. I think its about time I take your original advice and pull the carbs.

#8 ·
I'll give that one way check valve a looking at. Thanks for the advice. I pulled the carbs the other day and opened them up to find a small amount of very fine graphite looking dirt in the front carb (the one that the motor was backfiring out of). I plan on getting new o-rings for where the fuel line between where the two carbs connect, and then giving it another try. Also thinking that the timing may be off? or something crazy with the valves perhaps? Also heard that the CDI also can go bad? Not very familiar with these things...Do you think I can rule any of these out?

Thanks or your help guys.

#10 ·
I hit a deep spot while going across a lake that was supposed to be about 1 1/2ft deep. Probably was about 2 1/2 to 3 ft deep. Top of fenders, seat and air cleaner were not submerged, but the rest was. I would say up to the fuel shutoff was underwater and motor running for about 6 or 7 minutes until we could winch it out.

#12 ·
Havent done that yet. Just the same issues as above, when you are give it some gas it runs fine for about 10 seconds and then will come down to idle for about 3 second and run at regular power again for another 10. It will keep doing this over and over. It idles fine though.

#13 ·
sounds more and more like you have some rust/grime in a sensor plug and its kicking in the rev-limiter intermittently. make sure your parking brake is COMPLETELY released also. wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the bodywork off and start pulling plugs apart,spraying them with contact cleaner and adding in DIALECTIC GREASE to make them even more waterproof.

#14 ·
though I had it

Ok. I pulled the carbs and totally cleaned them out. Found a good amount of dirt in the bowl and near the large diaphram. Put everything back together and started it up. Seemed to run fine. It was raining hard out that day so i didnt take it out of the garage....So today i start it up and it idles fine. Give it some gas while still in neutral and it still runs fine at all rpms without any power loss. I pull out of the garage and head down the driveway. Original condition immediately comes back. Runs well for 8-10 seconds then that power loss. I pull it back into the garage and test out the motor while in neutral as before and it continues to have the same problem. It has something to do with the movement of it.. Not sure what sensor could be bad but im assuming that it has something to do with the belt wear sensor, but im not sure. Ill have to put that cover off next. Does anyone have any ideas? It runs fine until i take it for a ride!

#17 ·
QKENUF4U said:
sounds more and more like you have some rust/grime in a sensor plug and its kicking in the rev-limiter intermittently. make sure your parking brake is COMPLETELY released also. wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the bodywork off and start pulling plugs apart,spraying them with contact cleaner and adding in DIALECTIC GREASE to make them even more waterproof.
Like he said try this

#18 ·
i have a 650 similar problem but no i did not submerge mine. the bike was running like a champ one day ago. parked it in shed on sat morning got it out sunday afternoon for ride. started it up and it sounded like it was struggling to idle. well turns out its only running on one cylinder the front one. it does run but revs real slow with only one cylinder doing all the work. the coil is getting spark so i am not sure what to do about mine either. i will let yall know if i find anything. my email is foreman500es@gmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.