Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

pre-ride check list!!

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Saki in KY 
#1 ·
thought some might find this helpful :wink:

1362.1 THE T-CLOCK INSPECTION: by Art Friedman of Primedia.com

If you buy a new bike, it's worth asking the dealer's tech folks what things you should make part of your daily check.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation created the T-CLOCK mnemonic as a memory and orgaization ad for a pre-ride safety check of a typical motorcycle. Each letter represent a particular inspection category, as follows:

T - Tires & Wheels
C - Controls
L - Lights & Electrics
O - Oil
C - Chassis
K - Kickstand
TIRES AND WHEELS
Tires: Pressure correct (cold), tread condition. No cuts, bulges, punctures of foreign objects.
Wheels: Spokes tight and intact; rims true; no free play when flexed; bearing seals intact; spin freely.
Brakes: Firm feel; sufficient pad depth, no leaks or links in hoses or cables.

CONTROLS
Levers: Pivot bolt and nut; action and position correct; pivots lubed.
Cables: Ends and shafts lubed; no fraying or kinks; no binding when handlebar turned; proper adjustment.
Hoses: Check for damage or leaks, proper routing.
Throttle: Snaps closed freely when released; no excess play.

LIGHTS
Brake and Tailight(s): All filaments work; both levers actuate brake light.
Headlight: All filaments work; properly aimed; no damage.
Lenses: Clean; no condensation; tight.
Reflectors: Clean; intact.
Battery: Fluid level; terminals clean and tight; held down securely; vent tube not kinked or mis-routed.
Wiring: Check for pinching or fraying; properly routed; no corrosion.

OIL AND FLUIDS
Levels: Brake fluid, oil, final drive, transmission, coolant, fuel.
Leaks: Check all systems for leaks.
Condition: Check color of brake fluid & coolant.

CHASSIS
Frame: Paint lifting or peeling may indicate cracking.
Steering head & swingarm bearings: Lift wheels off floor, grab lower fork legs and pull and push to feel for play; repeat at rear. Turn fork to feel for detents in bearings.
Suspension: Smooth movement; proper adjustment; no leaks.
Chain or belt: Tension; lube, look for wear.
Fasteners: Look for missing or loose threaded fasteners, clips, pins.

KICKSTAND
Sidestand: Retracts firmly; no bending or damage; cut-out switch operates; springintact.
Centerstand: Retracts firmly, no damage.

See less See more
#3 ·
RECORDS

I know that this is the minimum that you should check for each day before you ride an dyou should not let anything get past you! The only thing that I would add is that it is great to keep a small spiral notebook for things to check on and to put in in a record book later, so that you may keep really great notes about your bike. Should you ever want to know how many miles your bike went on a set of tires, or say how long the new plugs lasted compared to the factory plugs, as you seee the fuel mileage degreasing...look for things such as the airfilter, plugs, loose or cracked fuel line...lots of things...but RECORD EVERYTHING! Should you one day decide that you just HAVE to get another bike, your records are like absolute proof to someone that you have taken awesome care of your bike. Sure it takes time, but safety is worth it...and things will show up on paper sometimes long before it failes on the road!

#8 ·
One other thing I might add, due to recent expeerience. When buying a bike, and you notice it is on reserve, don't forget to change to ON and have enough gas. I failed to switch it off of reserve when I filled up, road the bike for several miles, and it sputtered, and died in a curve. 40 mph isn't fast, but it also isn't too forgiving scraping on the pavement. I remember making the decision to ditch the bike, it was either I left of it took me for a ride end over end into a mailbox. Funny thing is, when I hit the pavement and saw my forearm scraping, I remember thinking that is gonna hurt. Then from there it was as quoted here : sky, pavement, sky pavement.

#11 ·
It is weird, I had the clutch pulled to ride it out, but it caught me by surprise I guess. While in the curve, the bike sputtered:clutch, then died. But when it sputtered, the bike dipped hard to the left (the side I was leaning to). When it dipped, I got the bike back up straight, looked up, saw ditch, grass, driveway, hill, dip, mailbox, it is then that I decided to kiss the asphault gods.
It was very weird, I have riden for awhile, and dumped my share of dirt bikes and the like, but I would guess I over compensated for the dip. Perhaps the semi that was in the oncoming lane made me react a little differant, because in theory I should of been able to pull it out. Or maybe I have been too overcompetant.
I should feel lucky that I learned how to fall the right way early in in life (not to fight it, just ride and or bounced it out). I think my pride hurts more than the rash I have. When I get her back together, I have a date with my ride in a parking lot, something I should've done already, to see what it can and can't do. I've done this with past sport bikes, and it seems to help with reactions.
Good news is it isn't tore up too bad. A mirror, and headlight. I have a little banging to do on the fenders, but I have planned on giving her a fresh coat of paint anyways. (Black w/ pearl orange) I think I will have to get a new tank as well, because it took out the mailbox, hehe.

#13 ·
Believe me I paid for it! I asked the homeowner how much they thought it would cost to replace it, they said that they just replaced it because a semi took it out a few days prior. They told me fifty bucks, and I wrote a check right there. Figured I would avoid any problems in the future.
It should be a federal offense for me not being able to pull out of the jam, hehe... :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.