Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, 45:1 is too lean, 32:1 is too rich, and will foul plugs easily. 35;1 is still on the rich side. 40:1 is pretty much perfect.
my son had a 01 cr 80 and we ran 32-1 and now we both have a 93 kx 250 and still running 32-1 so you are saying 40-1 is good thanks this helps me me next tank of gas i will switch to 40-1 i havent had no problems with 32- but i dont want to screw nothing up cost to much $ to fix any thing on a dirtbike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my son had a 01 cr 80 and we ran 32-1 and now we both have a 93 kx 250 and still running 32-1 so you are saying 40-1 is good thanks this helps me me next tank of gas i will switch to 40-1 i havent had no problems with 32- but i dont want to screw nothing up cost to much $ to fix any thing on a dirtbike
Where can I find aftermarket exhaust parts for a 93 kx250 my silencer is shot n I refuse to replace it with oem parts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its not "what ratio do I run" but what the oil manufacturer recomends.
After you decide on your oil, correctly jet your bike with that oil and stay with it. Been running 32:1 with 927 for many years. Just pulled an 03 CR250 cylinder that I ran for three seasons. The bore looked like it was never ran.
Granted its not just the oil. The filter was religiously cleaned after every race and it was jetted spot on.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I really like 927 cause it is castor based, but do not use it for winter cold weather (unless you shake it up extremely well). Yamalube for snowmobiles would be a high paraffin castor blend for cold weather (freezing).

Anyway, I run 32:1 usually. You can actually produce more power with a richer mix and proper jetting. If really hot out and having richness probs I would back off to 40:1 to 50:1. Let the trolling begin, I dont care.

I've run lots of different mixes- 927 was one of my favorites.
Got big jugs of Yamalube for cheap <$20 and ran that for a long time.
Ran out of that and went to AMS. (Subsequently, I just buy cheap Valvoline from Auto store now, opinion pending).

After running AMS and my thrust washer broke, I found no oil on my crank. OK- AMS burns clean. Great IF YOU WANT NO OIL LUBRICATING ANYTHING IN YOUR CRANKCASE OR PISTON. That is my conclusion. Give me some crappy spoogy Yamalube cause when I rebuild, I see oil left in my crankcase.
I ran that motor, crank, and mainbearings without incident for like 10 years before going to AMS. Not blaming it on AMS, but I wont spend that much on that oil ever again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like 927 cause it is castor based, but do not use it for winter cold weather (unless you shake it up extremely well).
Nope dont use it...Its not an ice racers friend. Anything but 927 when it gets cold.

Anyway, I run 32:1 usually. You can actually produce more power with a richer mix and proper jetting. If really hot out and having richness probs I would back off to 40:1 to 50:1. Let the trolling begin, I dont care.
Absolutely in agreement with more oil = more power. There is a much better ring seal where there is more oil. And on leaning out the oil mixture when it gets warm,.... I disagree. You are actually going rich on the fuel / air ratio. Oil doesnt count in the ratio and infact, you are creating a richer fueling condition with less oil. You're much better off losing one main jet size and keeping your original ratio when it gets hot...providing your jetting is correct to begin with. No trolling here, just 35 or so years of riding and racing 2 strokes..I cant wait for 4 strokes to become reliable and a decent tuner for fuel injection to come out.....Oh wait minute, I'll keep dreaming....:wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes I understand more oil in mix can cause leaner condition which confuses people cause it seems to defy logic, but it is true. But it seems to work for me (most likely just psychological). I usually jet on the rich side and when the heat of a summer day hits I need to drop a main size, but who wants to do that for a couple hours of performance?

More oil=less gas=more air= go figure

I read a gocart racer's dyno test that produced the most power at 28:1.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You really shouldn't run a castor based formula in a powervalve engine IMO. I experimented with Klotz Benol years ago, and yes, excellent protection, however castor gunked the pi$$ out of my powervalves quickly. Maybe castor blends are better, but I am a tried and true full synthetic Klotz R50 lover. O I also agree, do NOT run castor in the cold, the stuff takes on the consistancy of molasses.

For the recored, i've run 40:1 for the past 23 years. Never lost an engine. Am I leaving power on the table vs. 32:1 ? Maybe. Is 32:1 going to make me faster from more power ? No. 90% of riders can't use all of a bikes stock power efficiently anyways. Save some money, mix at 40:1, and get your suspension professionally valved to your ability instead of worrying about more power... trust me, THEN you will faster... (just my opinions)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.