Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up to take a MSF course on Dec. 7-9. I took a MSF in the early 90s and didn't pass. Passing was not my motive for taking the first class.
I want to pass the MSF class this time around.

Yesterday, I purchased a mountain bike to get me used to balancing, handling of brakes, etc. :p I haven't ridden a pedal bike in 18 years. :eek:

I just came back from a short ride and my legs are burning.
For a while, my balance was wobbily and veered from left to right shoulder of sidewalk. Making the left and right turns on sidewalk sucked.

For all of you who have taken the MSF course or any other motorcycle course, I would appreciate your advice and pointers so that I may practice before the real ride!!!!:mrgreen: :) ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Listen to what they tell you, and relax. Most people make mistakes because they're uptight. Good luck.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Keep riding the bicycle. It'll strengthen your legs, re-educate your balance, teach you some in dealing with low speed maneuvers. Get to your course calm, attentive and fully rested. Anything you don't fully understand ask. Remember the only 'stupid' question is the one you didn't ask. Yep the sidewalk turns do suck. Part of my test here was a sidewalk size 90 degree turn. I also had to slalom cones about three feet apart and offset about a foot from center line. Left side of the one to the left and right side of the one to the right. that was a challenge too.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
First of all, wear all the right gear as instructed by MSF for the course. View the course as a fun adventure. Since you've taken an MSF course and failed, this way you know what you have done wrong and correct those mistakes. Relax during the road practice and 'feel' the bike. Remember, the bike is more stable under acceleration...but make sure you control your throttle as needed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just took the course here a few weeks ago.. Most important, look where you want to go in turns. Kind of hard to get use to, but it works really well once you are able to do it. Practice it, it helps maintain your balance while riding slow. And use alittle more front brake when stopping fast.
I passed and got the SC drivers license waviered as well. Good Luck!

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
traderjaxx nailed it. Look where you want to go. This is where your bicycle can really help you. As you ride make a concerted effort to look as far ahead as possible. If you begin by trying to look as far as possible, it can help develop the habit of scanning your environment. Looking where you want to go is one of the basic fundamentals many riders struggle with. They're convinced looking at the ground two feet in front of them is somehow going to help them stay upright, but it's like roller skating. You know- look down, fall down.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I actually took a Intermediate course that required a permit to take the class. I had my license yrs ago, but let it expire. This was the first MSF course I took though and learned alot. Here you can obtain a Learners Permit by passing a written test with or without a MSF course.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Yea i could always walk into the dmv and take the written exam if i did happen to fail and they didnt issue a permit
but that's the hard way and not much fun. They could care less if you pass or fail.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try to go in with an empty slate. I have heard that most people with any previous experience have trouble because they can't let go of a technique that is different from the MSF. Forget everything, except riding fundamentals. And good luck!!

Exactly.

For the military we can either pay $150 and take the entire class through the state we are stationed in or take an advanced course for free. I took the advanced course since I am a seasoned rider. But we get young kids who may have grown up on a little dirt bike, come from Iraq with a pocket full of money, get a GSXR 1000 and try the advanced course and BOMB it and usually crash, which is an instant course failure when being tested.

If you are in the least bit rusty, just take the basic course and they start from ground zero and work you up in 2 days. It's great course. I have many friends here in the unit that are instructors and they all take the training to heart.

And as someone mentioned, the ones who think they can are 99.5% the ones that fail because they have bad habits that are not legally correct and they think they know the laws but usually find themselves wrong on the test.

Just have fun, it's a blast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you take he MSF course do you still need to take the test that they give in the DMV? or is it excused because you took the MSF course?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The test they give you is the test for your state. So yes, it is excused. Plus you get a discount on your insurance

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try to go in with an empty slate. I have heard that most people with any previous experience have trouble because they can't let go of a technique that is different from the MSF. Forget everything, except riding fundamentals. And good luck!!

Empty Slate Huh:biggrin: That shouldn't be too hard. man, I could make a funny but will pass. I very vaguely remember a few of the things from the first course.

Took the pedal bike out this morning just after 6 a.m. while temp was still in high 20s or low 30s here in Birmingham AL. Radio says it might get into 70s for weekend. Whoohoo:D Actually want to feel what it's like to ride in cold weather on a motorcycle.

Getting Excited!!
Leveled Head - Check!!
Ego in check - Check
Adrenline starting to pump - Oh Yeah!!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In reflecting on Sunday's bicycle ride and the fact that i was rusty, sucked, and need to excercise more ( yes, even us skinny people need to excercise), I didn't hit any pedstrians. There are a lot of people who walk in the area.

Ok, Egos back in check. I can't for the weekend. I should have followed up on the course years ago. I also hope that they still have some ninja 250s as practice bikes because i can not put both feet on the ground on a night hawk 250.

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
My advice, in addition to all the excellent words here already, is to cheat at the MSF course. Remove a variable from the equation. How I cheated:

The course I took used Honda 250's. Carb'd bikes. Carb'd bikes have an idle adjustment. Find that knob and increase the idle so the when "doing the box" you don't have to work he throttle so much. You'll see what I mean....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts