Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i am interested in buying a bike. I know what kind and everything but there is a slight problem. My parents. They dont want me getting one. Their main con of getting one is not that i will be a bad driver or go too fast but that somebody will hit me and hurt me. I need a good presentation for them to allow me to get a motorcycle. What are some good things to say to them about safety. IM me or Send an email or post a reply.

Thanks
Email: [email protected]

AIM: Stormin Mormon6

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard somewhere, maybe the class I took, that the majority of motorcycle accidents are people that are self taught. Tell them you will take the class, it was a ridiculous percantage if i remember correctly maybe someone knows for sure. Or do what I did, my parenst were completely against it but I took the class anyway and got a bike, they didnt talk to me for a few days but now everythings fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know i have said that. It was like 88 percent. They are fine with me being able to ride a bike safely. They think someone will hit me(haveing it not be my fault at all). They are scared of other drivers, not me

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
sorry man theres not really any aurguments you can have with your parents that will really change their minds.
my dad/mom have been around bikes all their lives. my mom bought me my first bike but she also knew i was responsible. i had my small crashs from inexperience etc.
im guessing your only 16 so you have a couple more years to go before you considered "grown up" plus i imagine your parents are paying for your insurance etc. if thats the case then your just gonna have to wait.
as for YOU not being "AFRAID of other drivers" thats a bad attitude to have. other drivers are the reason for my crash in 2002 that almost killed me. people dont look for bikes !!
good luck man

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well actually i am turning 18 in a month and want to get a bike for myself. Its not that i am not afraid of them. Its my parents who are afraid of them. They dont trust anyone on the road. I plan on taking lessons to learn how to ride well and then buy a bike. its just a matter of convincing now

·
Registered
112 Posts
just curious.. what kinda bike you planning on getting?

And I am 22 and when it was time to get my bike which was like 2 months ago. I just went out and got it because there is nothing I could say to make my mom understand how I felt. Everyday I go out and ride she doesn't approve. She says the same thing as your rents do.

I basically ignore it because no point in fighting just go out and get it if you can otherwise don't count it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
hawk said:
I heard somewhere, maybe the class I took, that the majority of motorcycle accidents are people that are self taught. Tell them you will take the class, it was a ridiculous percantage if i remember correctly maybe someone knows for sure. Or do what I did, my parenst were completely against it but I took the class anyway and got a bike, they didnt talk to me for a few days but now everythings fine
I did that trick and it got me to a point with my parents that I left home to live my life the way I wanted to. I worked 3 jobs and ate top ramen for months to prove the point. (min wage was $3.25 at the time) Rent was $300.00 the bike was $300.00 + insurance $200.00.

It got real old trying to go to college and be the man eating peanut butter and bread. Not a typo - I didn't have enough money for the jelly and the best meals came when my friends took pitty on me and bought me lunch or dinner when we went out.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The best presentation is one kept on offense so here goes the strategy.

1. MSF - get schooling to become more proficient.
2. Purcahse safety gear. Best Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves and boots.
This will minimize your risk factor.
3. Join professional organization - AMA to show that you are seeking
established advice and getting information about your sport/hobby.
4. Take advanced classes - MSF advanced and later go for track days to
learn more about riding safe.

I am sure I am missing some good points to give you, but you get the idea. Have a prepared answer for anything they might throw at you and twist it with a positive.

Good luck

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
I had the same problem with my mother. My father has always had a bike, just it hasent been ridden in years. I am 18 so I just went out and got my permit, and took the safety course without telling my mom. When she saw that I was seriously interested, and planned on being responsible(by taking the class) she slowly came around. She still sits at home worrying when I go out on the bike, but knows that I took all the precautions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another alternative would be to suggest a scooter. I know it doesn't seem as appealing to some... but the parents will figure it sounds safer... when in reality you can get a 400-650cc MaxiScoot that goes 100+ MPH. :D

Burgman 400 or 650, the new Yamaha Majesty, or a Honda Reflex are all pretty cool choices.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well...if the ol' parents are still footing your bills @ meals, room, insurance, and so on, then just respect there wishes for another year or so. Hell...your almost 18..you should be out of the house via college or military within a year. So wait alittle longer. I was in the same boat as you many years ago.
Five months after my 18th I was military bound and knew a bike was right around the corner. I had dirt bike experiance from my buddies bikes. My first bike I ever owned was a 76' KZ900. Bought it Friday afternoon at a Tampa Honda dealer and left Monday morning for Alamogordo NM. It was the middle of January and it was COLD. But I was on such a high to get my new bike back to my base cause all my other buddies had bikes that the 5 day ride was no problem.
Wait it out..... later you'll be glad you did....

·
Registered
629 Posts
There is nothing you can do to change your parents mind. They will always be parents. I went through a similar experience. My father and most of his brothers (7) rode bikes back in the UK. My uncle was riding a VT250F when I started looking for a bike. It is "in the family" and I was 18 at the time.

Follow the advice of the other posts. Take a riding course it will reduce the risk of injury/death. Take an advanced riding course to gain respect for the machine and see what motorcycles truly can do in the hands of a competent and safe rider.

Buy a good helmet, gloves, riding gear, boots. Buy a bike that is suitable for you, not your "image". Buy the manual(s) so you know your machine.

Start paying for all your own expenses.

Promise you parents never to drink and drive. Park the bike if you do. Do not trust other drivers, ever. Ride like you are invisible. ( I forget who uses that line but thanks).

If you choose to stunt, do it off the street.

And the most important rule: Never tempt fate. If you ever think that you are a great rider/driver and you are invincible, that is when the Three Fates will smack you down.

Enjoy your ride 'cause you don't want to be a crusty old ******* wishing you had done "something" . . . (BTW, that's the line I used on my parents when I returned to motorcycles and I'm 40, see line 1).

Ride safe and post often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i think i did it... this morning my mom tells me that i brought up many good points lastnight(thanks to all your posts) and she said that she does not encourage it but she will let me get a bike. its a good thing i have a job and a good one at that. She is making me pay for the insurance too. I guess this is a good "growing up" expierience. Now i just need to find out a good insurance company

Thanks again to everyone who helped

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Just follow through with your promises to your mom. Build the trust she so desperately needs to establish by letting you get a bike. Involve your mom when purchasing your gear. You never know, she might just by you some of the safety gear. (Christmas is not too far from now) Ask her opinion and keep her involved with your bike so she won't be afraid of letting you ride.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts