Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I sold my 97 Vulcan VN800-B and have upgraded to a 2003 Vulcan 1500. The thing is, even though my 800 is sold, the buyer asked me to keep it in my garage over the winter, and he will pick it up with the final payment in the spring. I certainly don't want to sell him a bike that is leaking prestone. It's not a big leak, I'd say no more than a half oz per day, but to me, any leak is a major one. The prestone is falling on the floor right behind the kickstand on the left side of the bike. Funny thing is I think I figured out where the leak is coming from which is on the right bottom side of the radiator, there is a short hose (maybe 6" long)that is connected to the radiator on the bottom right side. From what I can tell, the leak is coming from under the clamp that is keeping the hose and radiator together. My question is this. Is that hose and clamp a very expensive part and should I be able to fix it myself without going to a mechanic ?
There's no rush, but like I said, I want the buyer to be totally happy cause he did pay me top dollar for my old bike. I don't plan on fixing it until it warms up here a bit, but I'd like to know what I'm up against when it comes time for me to fix it.
Thanks in advance for anybody who is willing to give me advice. Oh and Merry Christmas to everyone, and a safe 2008 riding season to all.:-o

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hey Dudester-
The hose and clamp shouldn't be a big deal to replace.
It might just be loose. Loose clamps seem to be a common issue on these bikes, but at that age the hose could well be split under the clamp too.

My question is- How is the coolant migrating to the ground?
Is it running down the frame to a low point?

Just try to be sure you've got it located before you start into it with the tewlz.

BTW-Fixing it in advance surely puts a few more notes in the Bank of Karma for you. Always a good thing.

Good luck/Merry Xmas!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the info.
Skewterdewd~ It seems to be migrating to the floor by following the frame, and seeing that the bike is leaning to the left on the kick stand, it explains the drip on the opposite side of where it's actually leaking from.
I don't see a crack in the hose, but then again, I really won't see anything until the hose is removed and inspected properly.
A2Rider~ Geeze thank you so much for the link. I was about to purchase a Clymer manual for my 2003 Vulcan VN1500, but with the link you gave me, I guess I won't have to buy one. Thanks for the early X-mas gift Sir, much much appreciated. Just hope they ship to Canada. Worse case scenario, I can get the part number from the site and order it from the Kawi dealer up here.
Have a Merry Chrismas and thanks again gentlemen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts