Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a member of a "car" related forum and just read 4 pages of posts of people trying to beat red light cameras.....4 pages! They talk about sprays, bending their plates and putting electrical tape on their plates to obstruct the readability. WTF? They actually WANT to run red lights?

I finally posted my thoughts "DON'T RUN REDLIGHTS...THE PEOPLE THAT DO NEED TO BE FINED THE MAX SO MAYBE THEY WON'T DO IT AGAIN!!!!!"

I'm almost at a loss for words??? Do people not understand how dangerous this stuff is...especially for us? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Anyone that is a fan of the series "Mythbusters" should remember that in ALL of their attempts to defeat the cameras they failed. Also anyone the intentionally defaced or obscured their tags is subject to stop and ticketing. As a former deputy sherrif I loved those "know it all" type of people and cut them ZERO slack as opposed to anyone for a normal stop. Often I would subject the vehicle to a safety inspection and write everything I could find. OOPS, So sorry but no turn signal? $50.00. No plate lamp? $50.00. Headlight burned out? $75.00

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bad thing is that when I mentioned I ride, instantly I am branded as one of the crotch rocket guys that has no respect for traffic laws and slices in and out of traffic. One guy said that if bike riders don't feel safe they should stay the he!! off of the road. Like I said....scary!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The bad thing is that when I mentioned I ride, instantly I am branded as one of the crotch rocket guys that has no respect for traffic laws and slices in and out of traffic. One guy said that if bike riders don't feel safe they should stay the he!! off of the road. Like I said....scary!
you have got to be kidding......its guys like that , that should stay the hell off the roads......

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
This is exactly why I NEVER just take off after my light turns green--whether I'm in my car or on my bike. I always check to make sure the traffic has stopped before I start into the intersection. Doing so has saved me from getting into several accidents. People run red lights everywhere, but it seems to be much worse here in New Hampshire than it was in Colorado.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point jukief, I always wait a few seconds and I also always slow down through intersections and at dangerous sideroad entries. Better to hold up the cager behind you a few seconds than to risk your safety.

For the most part, us riders are all about safety. To hear cagers (and so many) talking about how to get away with breaking the law freaks me out. They are too busy with redlight cameras = govt money conspiracy theories to think about lives!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Over and over it is proven that people only care about themselves. This should come as no surprise to anyone. Put some metal around yourself and be on 4 wheels or choose to increase the risk on two. Motorcycling is fun but there is no denying the consequences of our choice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is exactly why I NEVER just take off after my light turns green--whether I'm in my car or on my bike. I always check to make sure the traffic has stopped before I start into the intersection. Doing so has saved me from getting into several accidents. People run red lights everywhere, but it seems to be much worse here in New Hampshire than it was in Colorado.
I used to try and set off as fast as I can, but people run lights, and not just lights that have just gone red while they're moving too fast.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts

I count to 3, even if someone is in front of me and I'm not the lead vehicle stopped. (i.e. when they move, I count) I have had a few horns blown at me, but in my 51 years on this earth it has saved my life twice.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Anyone that is a fan of the series "Mythbusters" should remember that in ALL of their attempts to defeat the cameras they failed. Also anyone the intentionally defaced or obscured their tags is subject to stop and ticketing. As a former deputy sherrif I loved those "know it all" type of people and cut them ZERO slack as opposed to anyone for a normal stop. Often I would subject the vehicle to a safety inspection and write everything I could find. OOPS, So sorry but no turn signal? $50.00. No plate lamp? $50.00. Headlight burned out? $75.00
Karma to ya....

·
Late starter...
797 Posts
Some "people" need all their teeth pulled out without novacane then made to gargle with ice water................

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Karma to ya....
I fail to see karma issues in one doing their job...particularly when said job involves reprimanding those who are purposefully going around laws intended to keep others safe.

...unless I took your comment wrong.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Personally, I am not so much of a fan of red light cams. The whole "Big Brother" thing and I can't remember where, but someone did a study... Lights with cameras statistically had a shorter yellow than lights without. This was actually increasing the number of acciidents from prople jammimg on the brakes. The accidents increased, but there were more fender benders and less t-bones. The conclusion was that the red light cams are not so much a safety thing as a revenue generating tool for the company that puts them in and the municipality.

Brian

·
Certainly uncertain
146 Posts
Well, to be fair .... were these posts like

A) "I want to run red lights whenever and where ever I can. Mu ah ah ah ah hah! Yes, the world is my play pen!; help me skirt the law by telling me how to foil these cameras!"

-or-

B) "I have a philosophical objection to red light cameras. The yellow lights have been shortened and are no longer consistent. I think these are blatant money grabs. I try to stop, if I think it is safe to do so. But if not, I don't think I should pay if I am caught in some kind of wierd circumstance that left me in the intersection. Appealing these violations is very difficult, what can I do?"

I can't believe that anyone would remotely promote a case close to case A and pass teh staright face test. But hey, these are the inter-tubes and forums are filled with look-at-me posts. Probably the same dolts that think street racing is cool, public peril be damned.

On the other hand, I think case B is completely reasonable. I am rather unsympathetic to those caught in red light cameras. But enough data has been collected to show that these really (in many cases) about revenue more than safey and yellow light timings have been monkeyed with. In that case, I can see where someone might want a little anonymity.

So whether righteous outrage is warranted depends on the tenor of the posts in the thread, which is ......?

Now, let's talk about those who buy the black market red light changers used by emergency vehicles for some real vitriole! ;-P

·
Old and nasty
517 Posts
Lets talk about the fact that the cameras do not show the driver just the car. There is something wrong with that. If you are not driving your car and someone else in your car runs the redlight, guess who gets the ticket? If you have older children and they drive your car or you lend it to a friend or neighbor, you are responsible no matter what? That's just nuts in my opinion. Somebody needs to prove I was driving the car. It goes on my license. Insane. guilty until proven innocent?

·
1600 Nomad
147 Posts
People run red lights everywhere, but it seems to be much worse here in New Hampshire than it was in Colorado.
While I can't speak about CO, I dare say if NH bothers you, don't drop down here into Mass....:eek:

The problem here is lack of enforcement. Very High accident rate, lowest tickets issued ratio.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as karma, I was always ready to cut slack and give most people breaks. I would put out as many warnings as full writes. If they were reasonable and had a valid explanation as to what was going on and why then indicated awareness of the problem without being a smart a** I cut them slack. It was just those individuals that immediately pulled an attitude with me and started telling me what the law could and could not do that I extended the reach of the law to. FWIW, this was also about 20 years ago.... :smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It seems like there are two points here. One is cameras and the argurement of whether they are there primarily for safety or revenue. I believe the primary purpose is revenue and I oppose their intrusion. What ruffles me more is the desire to infact, run a red light and get away with it. There are lots of excuses and circumstances that accompany careless or recless behavior. I am not afraid of the person half way through the light and aware of the potential consequences. I already see them. It is the other type, and we have all been him at some point, that destroys property, opportunities and marks souls when the decision rolls snake-eyes. The wise just recognize how mortal we all are.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts