Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ontario and I'm 16, and i was wondering how much it wud cost for a kawasaki ninja 250 new and also used in Canadian dollars and also how much insurance will cost. I haven't looked into anything and I'm not sure how it works, but I think i remember someone telling me you get insurance for about 6 months and then after that u wait till it's season to ride again and get insured... but how much wud it cost for a beginner on a 250cc and also how much does the ninja 250 cost new and used CAD? thanks, and bye.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey whats up Kawiguy! and welcome to the site

I used to live in Brampton about 6 months ago, I then moved to the States from there. Now, I hope your sitting down at the computer (which you probably are) cause expect to get the same treatment from the insurance companies as you would from dropping the soap in jail :lol: no really its no laughing matter :lol:
@ the age of 18 I owned a Kawasaki Eliminator 250 (cruiser) and I was paying $278 cdn a month. This myth about cancelling your insurance during the winter months.....is a myth. The 1 thing that you can do is drop your policy to fire or theft, no collision etc. But thats it, you must insure it for the full year. If you DO choose to cancel your insurance come winter, you may loose the last months, and then have to pay premiums and 1st and last....things like that, really not worth it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but thats Ontario's insurance companies for you!

As far as the cost of the bike its self you'll be paying $6899 for an '04
for a used one you would really have to research for yourself.
Check out cycletrader.com or ebay.... my suggestion

Thats it so hope it helps a bit!!
Take care

·
Registered
209 Posts
I live in the States, so I'm not too sure about Canadian insurance. I went to Progressive's website (I think it's www.progressive.com) and got a quote that was close to $300/year, and I'm 20. Have your parents check on insurance too, cause it will probably be cheaper if they can just include you as a part time driver, (not sure if you can do that for a bike, but you can for cars).

Take the safety course, then buy a used bike. Then you can make all the beginner mistakes and decide how big of a bike you want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. My insurance is $410 a year for Ninja 500. Before a Safety Course ($ 320 for cours) it was $790. With your age it might be double for the same bike.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I live in New York, and own a 2002 Ninja 500R. My yearly insurance is $75 a year for basic coverage. But, I'm also 26 and have been riding now for 5 years.

I used to pay $200 a year for basic insurance on a 750 Honda Nighthawk, which was my second beginners bike, my first was an XR250L dual sport which I paid $150 a year for basic insurance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Oshawa Ont Canada and been riding for twenty five years, I ride a 1987 Ninja ZX750R
and there is only two insurance company that will ensure a bike now, six months ago there was about FOUR or Five.

Anyway I pay about $ 1000.oo for the year, you cant get six months Inss anymore due to obvious reasons.

Anyway if you want to play you got to pay.

PS: I had quote as hi as $1500.oo

GO TO >>> JD Smith Insurance.com (Broker) They are the lowest!!

Good luck

·
Back again!!!!
601 Posts
i live in Toronto, I paid about $2300.00 for a full year of coverage....and that's with the safety course and being a member of the OMA!!!!.... I guess being a newbie rider and pretty young I've been sacrificed!.... it may of been higher if I was a male ( my broker and dealer said that it helped me by being a female) I ride an '04 Ninja 500R...look around at many many shops.... i was looking into getting a '05 ZZR 250, but the dealer had 3 '04 500r's no km's on them still in crate except for the floor model. Bottom line I bit the bullet and went a little bigger (it was nerve wracking at first, but now I look back and say why did I want the 250?) also an added bonus was that I paid about $1200 less after tax etc for the 500R than I would of with the 250brand new, plus I have full waranty. anyway try kingsway insurance, out of the dozens I called they were the nicest and cheapest for me. Also try tribute insurance or riders plus they may quote you lower than me, but who knows....PLEASE TAKE THE SAFETY COURSE!!!
Good luck with your bike!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rider plus will go to kingsway and mark itup.

Chimera: If everybody were as smart as you, we wouldn't be paying the hi premium.

there are two reason why we pay HI Premium: 1- Beginner go out and buy 750cc plus sportsbike.
2- Rich kids that get momy and dady to buy them again superbike and pay 5000 or more in premiums and leave it out the momy and dady driver way and goes missing.
Now they expect there insurance company to pay up.

I sugest that the insurance company refuse to insure newbies that exceeds 400cc for two years. or something like that.

anyway enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
check out Statefarm, they have the cheapest rates. They go by the cc's not what type of bike it is. I was paying $2300 with kingsway, now $1090 with statefarm. Cheers!

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
kahnman said:
check out Statefarm, they have the cheapest rates. They go by the cc's not what type of bike it is. I was paying $2300 with kingsway, now $1090 with statefarm. Cheers!
state farm will not insure him.

You have to have a god driving reccord... which means no accidents or tickets for 3 years before they will even insure you! I just called them last week and found out that since I have only had my license for about a year I donnot qualify for them.

but it might work differently in Canada!

·
Registered
6 Posts
actually I haven't had a bike or bike insurance for about 9 years since this one and i have 2 tickets (in a car, never got caught on any of the bikes i've owned, so far) i just got this past summer. Also I just wrote my M1 because I never bothered to get my 'M' license before the graduated licensing came out. They said the course makes no difference to them for my rate nor does joining the OMA (both of which I have done because with kingsway it would make a small difference). Everyone I know who rides a superbike has switched to statefarm. Good luck
ps he lives in Canada too which is why I replied, it must be different here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thmastr said:
state farm will not insure him.

You have to have a god driving reccord... which means no accidents or tickets for 3 years before they will even insure you! I just called them last week and found out that since I have only had my license for about a year I donnot qualify for them.

but it might work differently in Canada!
Actually, I'm 18 and my bike is insured through State Farm. I only opted for liability (a mistake I'll never make again) so I paid in the neighborhood of $22/month (for 12 months). With collision, I think it was about double that. Of course, me thinking "Oh, it'll never happen to me!" I just took liability.

I was in an accident, and State Farm concluded the fault was 50/50 which I don't understand. Who the hell reviewed the police reports, honestly? Anyway, I'll be coughing up the money come next season for repairs, then coughing up some more for better insurance converage.

A new 250 Ninja from a dealership from where I live cost around $3,100.00, which is nearly $3,600.00 CAD. That of course, includes dealership and paper-work fees. I recommed getting a used, you're young and, speaking first hand, money will only become more and more of a necessity as you get older. Got my 2000 EX250 for $1800 with 96 miles on the odometer. Good deals pop up, you just gotta be looking for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts