Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first bike.
I am leaning to get the 900 custom.
I was just wondering what realistic price I should be shooting for.
I have seen new bikes listed from 6500 to 7400.
I did not know where to start.
Thank for your help

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thank for your help
Look used. The 900 is soon to be the most available used Kaw in a long time. By spring, there'll be plenty of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not that it means anything but I just purchased my custom last friday and dealer gave it to me @ 6750 for an 08. After riding it for the first time i thought to myself I would have paid the full price! I have a buddy who just purchased a brand new Yamaha Raider (that thing is one good looking bike) and had him questioning if it was worth paying double what I paid after seeing my custom. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Hi Coach, and welcome to our forum. What kind of riding experience do you have? If looking for a first bike, I'd suspect none.

Many of us here would strongly recommend signing up for a Motorcycle Safety Course at Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The coast of the class gets offset by a discount on your motorcycle insurance, and in most cases waives taking your state's road test.

The 900 is my first bike, too. It's an awesome machine, but conventional wisdom would suggest you not buy a new bike first. It's often suggested to get a good used bike first so that God forbid you dump it, it's not the end of the world. After all, Would you care as much if you dented a $1000 bike as much as a $7000 bike. Probably not.

Whatever you choose, ride safe and stick around here. It's a fun place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Start here, and use the advanced search to get an idea of what dealers are selling them for new/used around the country:
Buy or Sell New and Used Motorcycles - CycleTrader.com

When I bought mine (late summer), the lowest prices seemed to be in the midwest. I basically told my local dealer that I had no problem buying a $100 ticket on Southwest, and riding my new bike home (great way to get break it in) if it was going to save me $1000. We worked something out from there.

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Thank for your help

I... I... I... that's all you ever think about... <jk> :lol:

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Welcome aboard, Coach! As Dude mentioned, take the MSF course first if you haven't already and/or if you're new to riding. It'll be far and away the BEST $200 and 2.5 days you'll spend on the bike. Definitely consider used if it's your first bike. Tons of used bikes in this class (750cc, 800cc, 900cc) of mid-sized bikes in excellent shape for good prices. Check your local paper and Buy or Sell New and Used Motorcycles - CycleTrader.com of course. If you buy private party, be sure to test ride it and have a mechanic check it out. If the seller won't let you, say goodbye and go to the next. And don't go to the mechanic the seller recommends! Obvious reasons.

Other good bikes in this class include: Suzuki C50 Boulevard; Yamaha 650 Silverado, Honda 750's, and of course the Kawasaki 900 series. Any of these manufacturers will provided you with an excellent bike, you just have to find one that wags your tail as there are subtle differences b/t them.

Welcome aboard, ride safely and enjoy!!!

Cheers,
Daryl

·
Registered
297 Posts
Start around 13% off sticker. Work from there. A friend of mine just bought a new Yamaha Raider. Told him the trick and he got them from $13800 to $12100. Not too bad for a brand new model.

Good luck and now's the time to start dealing...wintertime is a make or break for dealers...they get real hungry towards the latter part of January...LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
Coach,

Welcome to the forum and as everyone says take it slow get some training.

IMO
Your picking the right bike, you'll really like it. and I'd buy a new one. But thats just me, but I see other peoples point, about getting a good deal.

As for new, I think if you can buy the bike out the door for what the sticker is
thats a good deal. In other words getting it tax and fees included for MSRP
thats good. Remember these guys need to make a little.

Good luck.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Let me add my welcome and second (third?) the advice on taking the rider course. What you learn there will help you when you least expect it - 'specially the swerve and quick stop.

As far as the bike, used is a good way to go for your first. Mine was a 81 Honda CB900 Custom - I learned a lot about handling a bike on it and made me more confident when I transitioned to a brand new bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am planning on taking the course. When you take the course, can you ride your own bike, or do you have to use there's? Is there anyway of getting a learners permit.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
What state are you from? As far as bike use is concerned, you will have to use the foundation's bike for the entire course. They will require you to wear a long sleeve shirt, a pair of riding gloves, a helmet, and high cut boots.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
I am planning on taking the course. When you take the course, can you ride your own bike, or do you have to use there's? Is there anyway of getting a learners permit.
The Beginning Riders Course uses their bikes, it is part of the cost. Good thing too, people tend to drop 'em (the bikes) during the course of instruction. Better you ding their scoot and not your own, brand new $6,ooo to $15,ooo Belchfire 3K, or whatever. Plus, the turns on the MSF course are tight, real tight and inexperienced riders on bigger bikes have a very hard time.

You can go down and take the written exam for your state and get your "permit." That would give you a basic grounding on the laws as they affect motorcycles (not much different from cars). In most states, a "learners permit" requires that you ride in view of an adult with an endorsement. Often there are other restrictions, like no night riding and no freeway riding until you pass the practical.

For many states, you will be given a completion certificate at the end of the MSF class. This may will entitle you to go down to the DMV and pay your fee and get your M/C endorsement, usually without having to take the state practical exam.

Hope this helps. Get signed up, go take the class, relax, listen closely, don't get discouraged, don't panic when the scoot falls over (if it does), and enjoy the class.

I have taught the class to both beginners, experienced riders and drivers ed instructors. Trust me, it is fun and builds confidence.

John

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Most courses do supply the bike. Check your nearest one and see. I took the Rider's Edge Course which is sponsored by Harley Davidson. Definitely worth the time and cost.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I payed 2500 for my first bike. I used it for 6 month to make sure that I would really ride and then sold it for the same. Then I bought my 900 classic. If your not in a hurry you can shop around and find some amazing deals. I got my 900 classic with only 600 miles on it for $5000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts