Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was able to get it to run according to my two previous posts... It was the CDI the whole time... anyways...

So I take it out for a spin. I was able to engage 1gear and drove down the driveway. went up and down the street several times getting up to 4th gear. Now shifting gears was tough, a lot tougher than when I first drove it around when I first got it. It hurt my foot trying to pull up on the lever to shift. When I did shift and released the lever and then gave it some gas it would kinda slam into gear. So I go back into the garage... now mind you turning around in the street I almost had to come to a complete stop. I get in to the garage and down shift from 2 to 1. I stopped and the bike lurched forward and engine died. Normally, it should be able to idle in 1st gear. This leads me to believe the primary or the centrifugal clutch is full time engaged. I was able to get it in to N. I started it again... I toe'd the shifter into first but held it, revd it up and then released the shifter hoping it would dislodge the primary clutch. Nope, bike again lurched forward and killed the engine.

So what, would all of a sudden make the primary clutch go full time engage?
No noise or anyting I can think of gave any indication while riding that the clutch suddenly is not working after coming to a complete stop moments before?

Im quite busy all day Sat and on shift Sunday. Be Monday possible before
I can take the clutch cover off to investigate the problem.

thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Not sure what ATV you have, but suspect it is a Bayou.

The primary clutch will lock up if there are chunks of "stuff" in the clutch housing, it will also lock up if the idle is set too high. But, you would definitely know it if the idle was too high, as you would have a hard time shifting and it would not release the clutch as the engine was screaming!

Sounds as if your best bet is to disassemble the clutch and inspect the components.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
when you rebuilt the engine what oil did you put back in the case.wet clutch oil or reg motor oil?and have you adjusted the cluthch bolt yet or in the past?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Castrol ATV 10w40. I did find the problem. The hub spins clockwise just fine. When I pull the starter rope, it spins with the shaft, I cannot make it so that the shaft only spins and the hub is still. The clutch shoes are retracted and not touching the hub. The problem lies in the one way clutch bering that sits on the shaft behind the primary clutch. AKA 'sprag collar'. Anyways the book stated that the hub SHOULD spin freely counterclockwise. Mine only spins freely clockwise. So something is messed up with said sprag collar. It can only be put in one way and one way only. I tried to fudge it to go the other way, just not going to happen. So i yanked the collar off the other motor and same thing. Could only spin it clockwise.

I called a buddy who is a 25y motorcycle mechanic, explained the situation and he said in his 25yrs has never seen TWO collars act this way from two different motors. I even swapped hubs. Same thing. He said 99.9999% of the time when they break of malfunction, you can spin it both ways freely.

Trust me, I know this. I had a $12 sprag collar cost me $3200 when 2nd gear collar in the trans broke on a drag race launch on my 450hp,480tq 2001 Ford Lightning 4yrs ago. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geez Im such a moron. I found that I was infact putting the sprag collar in backwards! yes it looked at first that it would only go in one way. Not so, there is a channel on the bottom of the race in the primary clutch hub where the lip "clicks" into. Duh! I guess I didnt pay attention when I was taking it apart. Live and learn!

Took for a ride and it works just fine. Shifting is a bit tough but was told that it would eventually break itself back in since I had to re assemble everything.

Finally!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts