Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
The primary drive gear on the KL250A crankshaft has a concave face on one side, I cannot think of no reason for it so I don't know which way round to slide it back on? If it faces outwards (away from the main bearing) the dished washer that goes on next before the oil pump drive gear will dish into it but there is also a tab washer on the end of the shaft to lock it all on. See picture attached.
Thanks for any help.
Staff

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Does pin #14 fit into the crankshaft? What is the purpose of the pin? If you flip the dished washer #13 over (convex surface against concave surface) will it touch the flat face of the drive gear? It's a mystery for sure. One final question.
When the nut is tightened, what fetches up first? I assume it would be the oil pump gear against a shoulder on the crankshaft, but I cannot tell from looking at the diagram.

White Font Auto part Drawing Circle

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Well once I got a picture of the crank, the mystery is solved. Note the large taper on the crankshaft where the splines end. The dished side of the drive gear has to match the taper on the crankshaft.

So face the dished side of the drive gear towards the engine.

Machine Engineering Auto part Font Fashion accessory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you see more wear on one side of the gear teeth? That would indicate the loaded side and would tell you which way
Well once I got a picture of the crank, the mystery is solved. Note the large taper on the crankshaft where the splines end. The dished side of the drive gear has to match the taper on the crankshaft.

So face the dished side of the drive gear towards the engine.

View attachment 43889
Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct I didn't spot the taper on the crank as the main bearing protrudes past it slightly! Your explanation makes sense it allows the gear to butt up tightly to the bearing with the crank also being able to continue the full width if the inner race. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Andrew
Can you see more wear on one side of the gear teeth? That would indicate the loaded side and would tell you which way to install the gear.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, looks like it's taper towards engine to allow gear not to foul crankshaft protruding through main bearing inner race.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does pin #14 fit into the crankshaft? What is the purpose of the pin? If you flip the dished washer #13 over (convex surface against concave surface) will it touch the flat face of the drive gear? It's a mystery for sure. One final question.
When the nut is tightened, what fetches up first? I assume it would be the oil pump gear against a shoulder on the crankshaft, but I cannot tell from looking at the diagram.

View attachment 43888
Think it's been sorted now on next answer, thank you for taking the time to reply it is appreciated.
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts