Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I own a 2003 Vulcan Classic 1500. I know when I had my 800 it was a "B" model and I know there is the 800 "A" model with the narrow front tire as well as the "E" model for the 800 drifter
I often read articles on the Vulcan 1500 B' C D E L or whatever. What do these letters mean ? How can I find out what letter my 1500 is ? I often see things for sale on eBay or other sites that say they have a certain item for the Vulcan Classic 1500 C D or E etc. So, as stupid as this question is, can anybody clarify this for me....please ? :shock:

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Good question, and I wish I had the answer. I have a 2007 Nomad that the MOM says is a 1600D7FA. I got the 1600 part figured out all by my self ;) but have no clue on the rest of the identifier. :confused:

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ummm, mine is a VN1500-E apparently, so I guess if I were to go on a search for bling, I would look for a 2003 Vulcan Classic VN1500-E, or at least that's what I'm being told here right ?
I wonder what the differences in machines are for the same year of VN1500 with the C-D-E-F or whatever ?

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
My '00 Nomad is a 1500L1. It is one of the first FI Nomads.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
If you go back to the very first model made, you will see the letter "A" next to it. As the years go by, they make changes, updates to the model. "E" simply means that is the fourth change they made to your model over the years.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
This has largely been the practice for a long time. I bought a new Yamaha RD350A in 1974. The 73 was the RD350, and the 75 was the RD350B. Sometimes that means something, and sometimes it doesn't, of course. But you need to know the number to order some mechanical parts.

This has been true of trucks and some cars, most notably Volvos, for a long time. You need to know the last 6 number of the VIN to be able to order correct parts.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This has largely been the practice for a long time. I bought a new Yamaha RD350A in 1974. The 73 was the RD350, and the 75 was the RD350B. Sometimes that means something, and sometimes it doesn't, of course. But you need to know the number to order some mechanical parts.

This has been true of trucks and some cars, most notably Volvos, for a long time. You need to know the last 6 number of the VIN to be able to order correct parts.
Back in 73 I purchased a brand new Yamaha RD-350. What a little sweet heart of a bike. That little bike was a bomb too for its' size. I believe it was the first 6 speed 350 Yami to come out that year. Sure have some fond memories of that bike.
As far as my 03 Classic 1500, the number is VN1500-E6, which I think the number 6 stands for Carburated.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Actually, the 6 means it's the sixth year of the current five-speed Classic design.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I am still in the dark about all the letters behind the numbers. A very good question indeed.

What modifications were made to the bikes as the years progress and what parts fit with what years. I also look at used parts to purchase and wonder if it will fit a 2006FI as it came from a 2004FI.

I have learned that there were modification made between the CARBED model and the FI models both engine wise and body wise.

Ma Ka sent me an accessory book when I made my purchase and has all the part numbers of bling that fit my paticular bike. I use it as a bible for parts that are for sale. If the seller can't provide me with a Kawasaki part number I usually pass it by. But I am still screwed on buying aftermarket parts from vendors other than Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you go back to the very first model made, you will see the letter "A" next to it. As the years go by, they make changes, updates to the model. "E" simply means that is the fourth change they made to your model over the years.
Yep Yep, just like my wife's 750 is a VN750A10 model #, they used the #'s to designate the model-year run, starting with A1 in '85 and going one number per year up to A20 in '04.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am still in the dark about all the letters behind the numbers. A very good question indeed.

What modifications were made to the bikes as the years progress and what parts fit with what years. I also look at used parts to purchase and wonder if it will fit a 2006FI as it came from a 2004FI.

I have learned that there were modification made between the CARBED model and the FI models both engine wise and body wise.

Ma Ka sent me an accessory book when I made my purchase and has all the part numbers of bling that fit my paticular bike. I use it as a bible for parts that are for sale. If the seller can't provide me with a Kawasaki part number I usually pass it by. But I am still screwed on buying aftermarket parts from vendors other than Kawasaki.
That's exactly my problem, which prevents me from purchasing bling from a seller if they can't provide the exact info. I believe that the 2003 Vuclan Classic 1500 came that year with the option of FI, which means there are some carbed 03's as well as some FI of the same year but is various ways different. I wish I had the Ma Ka accessory book for my carbed version that was sent to you. What in the world does Ma Ka mean lol ?
Anyway, thanks all for your help and explanations. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts