Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

Can any one advise me please:
In winter if I have not used my bike (Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1) for two months or more I have trouble starting it.
I have renewed the spark plugs but still no go...
can any one tell me why the bike might be doing this or better still how can I stop it happening.
I have been told that the petrol may be stale but I cannot see how that can be because petrol doesnt go stale in a car engine.

Advice please?

Thanks

Melv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
the gasoline will go stale, it can do it in 2 months too. You might try draining the bowls in the bike and draining the gas tank, and start off with some fresh stuff, it might save you lots of time in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Of course the gasoline can go stall in a car. It takes longer in a car than in a bike because a car has a vapor lock seal, whereas a bike does not. the gas fumes leak out through the seal. The fumes are important to the explosion within the engine. It is all about the physics. Drain it as Freakinout mentioned and also you may want to change the oil completely as it will settle and acidify too. To prevent this in the future: take the time to start and run your bike for several minutes at least once a week during the winter. Click the link below for more detailed info on how to winterize your bike.

http://www.cyberpoet.net/motorcycle/how_to/mc_storage.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Sorry, folks, but your both wrong.

Melv, what you've come up against is a simple thing called "parasitic drain". It can be caused by a few things, but in this case, it's simply because the bike hasn't been run in 2 months.

What has happened is that due to both the passage of time, and the drop in temperature, the batter has lost some if it's available voltage. Typically, a fully charged battery will read 12.6V, on a warm (70 degrees Farenheit) day. When the temperature drops, that can go to as low as 12.3-12.25V, even though it may be fully charged and never have been used.

The easiest fix is to remove the battery, take it indoors (or to a wam place, at the very least) and let it warm to room temperature. Give it an open voltage test (use a multimeter...set to volts DC and place the leads..read the display) and if it's lacking, give it a charge. Once it's up to snuff, replace it in the bike, and hit the starter. That *should* cure your problem..and remember...even it's not going anywhere, start the bike up to charge the battery. It'll save you headaches like this one in the future.

Hope this helps

ZX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
You brought up a good point as to what his particular problem might be, but this was discussed in the link I posted as well as many other things that most riders don't think of. Physics I know well, motorcycles I am learning very quickly. Check out the link for entend details.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top