Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this ex500 used and i went to clean the carbs and they for one looked brand new which made me think they were replaced by the previous owner. But besides that theres a nipple on the top of each carb (its a v-twin so theres two.) the hose on the right carb ran to what looked like a diaphram which had a hose that ran to the air box, and two that ran to each cylender. On the left carb there was a tube running to the shut off valve on the gas line which is mounted on the tank. Now i may be an idiot by why would there be identical nippes on the top of each carb and tubes that ran to completlely different parts. Is this a wrong set up possibly by the previous owner? Does anyone know the right setup? someone please help me!!! Ive got pics of the top of the carb. The reason i took the carbs out to clean them was because the bike bogged out at 3grand and then at like 3.5 it took off hardcore, could this be part of the problem?!?! thank you

-burke

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the lines are correct. one is for your vacumn operated petcok and the other is for your emissions air valve. as for the bog problem, are there any mods to the airbox or exhaust ?
oh and the nipple are for suppling vacumn to the parts that need it and also so that you can do carb synchs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot dude! I also found some rust in the gas tank and a buddy of mine said theres some kinda gas additive you can run through the tank to rid my bike of this problem.... but he said ull go through lke 4 fuel filters before its clean... and my friggin' bike doesnt even have a fuel filter on it now... but does anyone know anymore about this additive at all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts