Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: I everybody,I'm new here,
I own a Vulcan 1500 vn 1997,with 56,300 km.When i engage on the second gear it desengage itself just like a neutral,but not alway's.The third,and fourth gear's are o.k,the first to.Can somebody who own a Vulcan can give me a hint what could be the problem?A dealer told me it was the transmission,and it cost around 1,400.00 cdn to repair.Could be something else?

Tank You in advance It seem to be a great site :p

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
2nd Guessing

Check to see that you are actually going all the way up and your shifter lever/pedal is actually making the entire trip to the top/stop. Try shifting into second physically harder (not hard enough to break the shifter) as you may not actually be getting it all the way there before letting out on the clutch, too...Let us know...YOU might even try to change the position of the lever one notch...just for now...and then hang onto the clutch lever just a split longer before letting it out...meanwhile, Look for a mechanic that does transmissions...there HAS to be some on the FORUM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 2nd Guessing

Hi, Just to tell you that i found out after shifting in second gear,and release the clutch ,i put the tip of my foot on the shifter and it doesn't slip in neutral anymore.But,can it meen something else than the gear?

Regard's Rider

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Remove and reinstall shifter pedal

The pedal will come of and you can adjust it so that you toe fits under it better. My buddie had a problem with his Kawasaki...he was wearing his military boots also...just removed the shifter pedal and put it up one notch higher and he was as happy as could be...and quit making the shift into Neutral from first almost all of the time. I think that once you try this you may find that there is no more trouble. Also ensure that you are allowing it to shift before you let out on the clutch...AND you are adding throttle, while letting out on the clutch...this is important too...better to slip the clutch in the beginning to ensure that it is not an internal problem...IF it keeps it up take it to a mechanic and ask him to ride it and tell you if it is doing it for him as well...it may be just your riding...(?)technique?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem

I am having the smae problem with my 1996 classic 1500. I just had it in the shop, the shifter was jammed in first. I couldn't move it at all. They fixed that. They said that the shifter had come loose on the splines(?), so they reinstalled it, but now it jumps out of 2nd all of the time. I plan on taking it back in to the shop, seeing as how they have a 30 day warrantee, but I want to know what the problems may be so they don't try to blame it on a totally new problem and charge me up the a$$ for a new tranny.

If anyone can think of any other reasons for jumping out of 2nd, please let me know. Like I said, I want to go back to the mechanic with as much knowledge as possible. Knowledge is power.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Same problem

Hi I'm gone be able to answer to you in one or two weeks.I spoke to the dealer where i bought it, and he is gone check it out for the diagnostic,if it's a adjustement or if he have to open the engine.Because if it' the second gear he will have to open the engine to reach the transmission.I had the bike for less than a month,so i'm gona tried to be free of charge.

I've been told that there's some tooth on the side of that gear,and it's made in V type.When it go in position in the other gear with hole to receve it ,it's have to go right in it with the force.

The probleme is at the top of the V,on one side is use so it's round.So with the force it doesn't go in the other gear it just been push away.

I'm not a mecanic guy but it been explane to me that way.

I'll give you some new's about it

Regard's Rider

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Mateus
About our problem,the dealer did a run test and diagnose that he's gon'a have to open the transmission.It's the second gear,forch,and the shaft where the gears travel it have some spline on it.They will do it this week.So when it's gone be finish,i'll be more exact about these parts for the real name.

My mecanician told me there was no adjustement for that kind of problem.

I'll let you know soon

Rider

1 - 8 of 8 Posts