Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2002 800 for two weeks now. It came with saddlebags attached and I took them off at first until I got used to the bike. Tonight, I wanted to put them back on - got everything on fine but CANNOT figure out how to fasten the straps that go around the brackets. Can anybody walk me through that or point me in the direction of some pictures or diagrams? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have photos of the brackets and the back of the saddlebags?

Andy
I don't, but I can take them. They look just like yours, and I was going to ask you but didn't want to bug you. :redface: I also wondered after I posted if maybe I should just leave them off until I get the other stuff and take you up on the offer to walk me through it? Whaddya think? I REALLY appreciate it!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi ya Nanc, Welcome , nice bike. Good to see a few more women getting into riding. The 800's a good bike and they're many here that has or has had one so finding help should be easy. Saddlebags mount different ways, usally up to the owner how they want it, but usally the yoke goes over the fender, some bolts from inside the bags out threw the back, threw the bag mount into the fender rails (optional), and some belt buckles ( or nylon zip ties) around the bag mounts near the bottom back of the bags. Like yoda said though, some pics of the back of your bags would help. Hope this helps, goodluck, and there is LOTS of 800 info in the 750/800/900 section, it was taken over by the 800ers a while back lol.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics

Hi again - Thanks so much, and I guess if I've gotten so close I may as well try to finish it so I can get my errands done this afternoon. :) Here's what I've got...

back view - already zipped on

another back view

Holding the saddleback up, the nylon strap is hanging down

The two ends of the nylon strap - I can't get it threaded through to stay tight when I take it around behind the brackets...not sure how it goes through the fastener maybe?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sorry I can't help you here, I didn't used the provided straps, and mine were belts and buckles. I poked small holes where the bag alined with the bag support bar bolts and installed bolts and large washers. The belts just didn't hold the bags firmly enough for me and i was paraniod about the straps coming lose and catching in the wheel (be careful if this)

·
At home wherever I land
135 Posts
I would think you're supposed to loop the strap behind the brace and through the opposite anchor point on the bag, then I would probably zip-tie the bottom anchor point to the brace that's attached to the bike.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, they go behind the brace, but I can't seem to get them tight enough...and the straps SEEM to be secure but I had those fears about them getting tangled up in the wheel too....that REALLY scares me. I think the suggestion about the nylon ties is fantastic, and that's what I'm going to do! Thanks to you all for your help, I really appreciate it ~:-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.