Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i decided to take my bike (93 EX500) out and learn a little before taking the MSF course. At first, the bike started up fine, and after shifting into first it worked fine. I stalled it a couple times druing my learning session also. Towards the end, the bike seemed to stall after shifting into first, and releasing the clutch..no matter how much gas i gave it. Then it didn't want to start anymore. I tried starting it with the choke, and still nothing. The engine turns, but doesn't start. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STARTING

Change your plugs and make sure you have fresh gas. Then take your old plugs and soak them in white vinegar to clean them real good, blow them dry and keep them as spares...always keep a pair for spares. Probably wouldn't hurt to look at your air filter either...just a visual to see how dirty it may be...and if it just dies when yuo put it into gear...then check your side kick stand switch, clean it and lightly lube it and reconnect it...THEN get back on the keyboard and let the FORUM know what you did to fix it!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well...i just went out today this morning to try and start it. The first time i tried it didn't start, but the second time it started right up. I didn't do anything to it.

I would like to get fresh gas in there, but how would i drain the old gas?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OLD GAS

You could go through the drill of removing the tank...or you could use a piece of plastic tubing and siphon it out...or even buy a turkey baster and just keep drawing it out...but put it in a gas can it will probably still work in the lawn mower...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Woah, back it up, boys. Let's check the basics first.

Is your fuel switch set to on, or reserve, and not to off? Do you have gas? If the switch is off or if you're out of fuel, more and more choke can let you start it and keep it running for a while. Eventually you won't even be able to start it, even with full choke and full throttle.

ZX-2R has a good point on the side stand switch. Those fail sometimes, and the symptom will be perfect operation until you let out the clutch.

Cale asked a good question, too. Just because you press down on the shifter doesn't mean that you're in first. You might need to let out the clutch a little to spin the transmission so that you can shift.

There's certainly more possibilities, but those are the first things that come into my mind.
Curt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the fuel switch is in the ON position, and as for it actually being in first gear...im not sure, but the neutral light did go off, and i did feel the bike kinda jump forward. I was going to take it out for another test run tonight, but it started to rain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts