Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I’ve not posted on this group before or any group come to think of it......
So I have a 84 KZ550 with the Tk22 carbs, I’ve owned the bike for several years, it’s alway been a bitch to start.
It wasn’t until recently that I discovered the spring loaded flaps on the choke slides we’re missing, so having trawled eBay I managed to acquire some, these were fitted but no change . Reading comments online about cleaning carbs I invested in an ultrasonic cleaning bath. So carbs were stripped and cleaned , I set them up to factory spec. The bike is fitted with pod filters all the time I’ve owed it.
I can start the bike with full choke only, if I take the choke off even by a small amount the engine dies. Any ideas please.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
98 Posts
A few things you should consider, if the bike wont start without full choke it means not enough fuel in the fuel air mix, period. In other words TOO MUCH AIR and not enough fuel. Check your fuel system to make sure the carbs have fuel in them. Then you have a few options to try, bigger pilot jets to let more fuel in or choke off some air by removing the pod filters and going back to stock. Another issue maybe you have air leaks at the engine to carburettor joints, the rubber connectors. Start looking at these areas. BTW if outside temperature is fairly warm say over 20C, you should not need choke at all to start assuming of course the carb bowls are full of fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After it warms up, will it run without the choke?
Here's a page with lots of KZ550 & 550 carburetor info & other stuff.
loudhvx - Motorcycle Stuff
H
After it warms up, will it run without the choke?
Here's a page with lots of KZ550 & 550 carburetor info & other stuff.
loudhvx - Motorcycle Stuff
Thanks for the info Martin I’ll have a good read through , in answer to your question, if I leave it running on choke to warm up it just die the minute I try to open the choke flap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few things you should consider, if the bike wont start without full choke it means not enough fuel in the fuel air mix, period. In other words TOO MUCH AIR and not enough fuel. Check your fuel system to make sure the carbs have fuel in them. Then you have a few options to try, bigger pilot jets to let more fuel in or choke off some air by removing the pod filters and going back to stock. Another issue maybe you have air leaks at the engine to carburettor joints, the rubber connectors. Start looking at these areas. BTW if outside temperature is fairly warm say over 20C, you should not need choke at all to start assuming of course the carb bowls are full of fuel.
Hi Alec
Thanks , wow I’ve got some stuff to check now ,I never considered air leaks and I’ll check the float height too. Thinking about it now I’ve not been able to control the revs , so here goes.. Btw temp here has been mostly over 20 deg, also I have no stock air box, that was already gone when I got the bike.
thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
It really sounds like clogged pilot jets. When you cleaned the carbs were these jets removed and inspected? If so, there is still a chance that contamination from fuel lines, petcock or gas tank has crudded up the jets again.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
98 Posts
From my experience the pod filters are kind of a hassle. Since you don't have the stock air box you will likely need to upsize the pilot jets, that is with the assumption that all else is okay. As I said you have a fuel air mixture with way too much air, that's why you need the choke all the time, it increases the fuel and reduces the air. Crackes in the carb rubbers, loose carb rubbers, missing vacuum plugs, pluged pilot jets, dirt in the carbs, etc. Could be anyone of these that's causing your problems. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All
I’ve not posted on this group before or any group come to think of it......
So I have a 84 KZ550 with the Tk22 carbs, I’ve owned the bike for several years, it’s alway been a bitch to start.
It wasn’t until recently that I discovered the spring loaded flaps on the choke slides we’re missing, so having trawled eBay I managed to acquire some, these were fitted but no change . Reading comments online about cleaning carbs I invested in an ultrasonic cleaning bath. So carbs were stripped and cleaned , I set them up to factory spec. The bike is fitted with pod filters all the time I’ve owed it.
I can start the bike with full choke only, if I take the choke off even by a small amount the engine dies. Any ideas please.
I had the same issue...35 years ago with my 81... With filter pods you have to increase the jet size on the mains and possibly the idle jet. When you remove the stock airbox, the bike will run way lean...thus it will be hard to start. Check your plugs to see how the mixture is...probably lean. Good news, with filters and a 4 into 1 you can gain some decent power....I could easily keep up with my friends GS550EX...a newer and more powerful bike. And I positively blew my brothers FJ600 away.

JES

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
By mohork: Thanks for the info Martin I’ll have a good read through , in answer to your question, if I leave it running on choke to warm up it just die the minute I try to open the choke flap.

In case you didn't see it, that motorcycle stuff page has a section about the choke flaps & how they can go missing. Someone has been selling fabricated flaps on EB. looks like they're laser cut or something. I think they still require some fiddling to make them work, but still probably easier than making your own.
Also, there may be a jetting page for the TK22 carburetors & the individual pod filters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The eBay kz550 500 400j choke flaps For the TK22 are high quality.

No fiddling required.

Every flap is test fitted and has 100% feedback. All flaps can be replaced without removing the carbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts