Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problems with revolutions on Z1000 (2009)

Hi guys,
my Z1000 two weeks after buying (in cca. 1000km) started to hold higher revolutions. Sometimes (very irregularly) during driving I felt that in low revolutions (4000 and less) engine didn’t want to slow down which was pretty dangerous (motorcycle still went the same speed).

When I pressed the clutch and released throttle the revolutions idled between 2500-4000 RMP. But motorcycle seemed that nothing was happening (no FI on screen). When I pushed the throttle again more intensively, the revolutions went up and then down already regularly. This happened quite often but not every time.

After many visits in motorcycle services, the seller gave me whole Throttle Body Assy (cost over 2500€, see picture). After replacing this part the revolution has not idle yet but when I release throttle and push the clutch the revolutions go quickly (normally) down to 4000 RPM and then they go much slower to cca. 1000 RPM. This is same every time but other Z1000 do not have it (mine had it neither before the replacement).

Maybe I am paranoid but I am afraid that the mistake (rev.idle) can appear again and besides that I don’t feel good when revolutions bellow 4000 RPM return so slow. I think the braking with engine is not so effectual there and not how it should be…

After replacing Throttle Body Assy I put Z1000 on diagnostic which showed me: “throttle sensor failure 1x, subthrottle sensor failure 3x”. The service men still have no idea what can be wrong…

I am close to sell this beautiful motorcycle just because this terrible mistake. Please, help me if you know how…

Thank you a lot!

Tomas

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
From what you describe or at least what i understand, your Bike is not right.

It should idle with very little fluctuation around 1100-1200rpm.

If you throttle the bike and let go it should return to 1100-1200rpm fairly rapidly and stay there.

If you are riding and let go of the throttle and clutch the bike it should also return to idle quickly.

You may be picking up historic fault codes stored in the ECU from the dealer working on the Bike, maybe he ran or tried to run it with one or both Sensors disconnected.

It seems odd that you would have both sensors faulty !

Silly question but are they connected to the right plugs ?

A Grey Sensor....Grey Plug

What diagnostic software did you use....KDS ?

What codes were displayed 11&32?

How many miles/kms has the bike got on it ?

Your pic.....Bigger :) Easy on my eyes :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, thank you for reply!! I have the same impression. The codes have been there probably for a long time (they stay in ECU forever you cannot delete them). Once I tried to go with one sensor disconnected – the bike went then only up to cca 6000 RMP.

If I am right then both sensors are part of that Throttle Body Assy which was replaced by a new one (at least I hope so, but the bike behaves differently since then). Kawasaki mechanics naturally checked plugs connectivity which seems to be correct.

I don’t know about software, but it was in genuine Kawasaki service in EU so I expect they have the right one. Motorcycle has 8000km now and Throttle Body Assy was changed at 6000km.

Codes are as you wrote:
32 Subthrottle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short
11 Main throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short

The problem was that when the mistake appeared motorcycle didn’t show anything (no FI code on screen). Now it’s the same. Motorcycle looks that everything is in normal.

I don’t know anything about those sensors but can they be switched with sensors from another bike? My friend has Z1000 from 2008 (one year older then me) and I think when we switched it, it could show something. But somebody told me that sensors are inside and visible are only plugs. Can they be also wrong?

I am really desperate…

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The way that you describe the problem, it sure sounds like you have a bind in the throttle actuating system somewhere...it is just not returning to idle position for some reason. What you might try is the next time it does it, touch nothing, pull over with the high idle and try pushing the throttle mechanism at the throttle body (if you can get at it! maybe with a stick?) and see if the idle returns to normal. Push towards the normal idle home position.
Those codes would have no influence on this problem.

I do not recommend swapping parts around with another bike; this problem has to be troubleshot with current components.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
Thank you for your recommendation. I will try it but now I have to wait till spring since my bike is “sleeping” in my friend’s garage without a battery :-(.

What do you exactly mean by “pull over with the high idle”? I am sorry I am not native speaker…

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Just had a look on Kawasaki to see if the Sensors are avaliable and there not they come with the throttle body.

Have a look in the Kawasaki service Manual (99924-1380-03) at section FUEL SYSTEM (DFI) 3-47 where it states you cannot adjust or replace these sensors.
You can only check their input/output voltages & resistances....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.