Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Colin, the dsragons I actually printed on my computer printer onto some adhesive clear laminate sheets that I found at Hobby Lobby. The film is kind of thick so it was hard to cut out the dragon. I then applied the dragon to the painted yellow tank carefully (the printed ink wanted to come off the laminate if I applied to much pressure) I then applied several coats of clear, then put some drops of silver paint in the clear and applied several more coats. It looks pretty good in the sun because you can really see the silver flecks in the clear coat. This was my first try at using a spray gun and air compressor for painting the tank. I had painted the tank red and yellow with canned paint when I got the bike, and it did not come out very well, so I think this time it came out fairly decent. I am hoping it will hold up well in the Texas heat this summer.:)

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
can't tell it's your first go with the the paint gun by looking at that job. looks good.

·
Back in traffic
675 Posts
My bike needs a coat of paint this spring also. I used some automotive paint in a rattle can last spring and it looks alright but it is not standing up well at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments guys. I sure am enjoying the ride now that the paint job is done. Colin, I tried the rattle can paint the first time around and was not happy with the results and the clear coat did not hold up either. I hope this paint job holds up well. I have to now look at getting new tires because I took my time detailing the bike when I put it back together and I noticed the tires are getting small fine cracks in the sidewalls. These vintage kz bikes are a labor of love but to me is totally worth it.:biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts