Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a set of the 440 HD shocks for my '04 Nomad. Has anyone had any experiance with them and would care to share some opinions?

Bruce

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, guess I'll just have to write my own report.

Shhhh... 'Santa' put a set of 440's and some fork springs under the tree for me. :biggrin:

Bruce

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
just saw this. i put them on my '97 1500 and really liked the results. the stock shocks would bottom out riding two up and they felt a bit soft during "hard" cornering. with the 440's i've never bottomed out and the handing is much more stable. go for it, but know that it's important to select the right rated shock. call and deal that way rather then on the net.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear that you like them.

I'm a Progressive Suspension dealer, so yeah, I called tech and made sure to get the right shocks. The springs aren't 'supposed' to be for the F.I.'s cartridge fork, but I know a cpl of folks that have done it, so I went for them too.

I've got an extra set of forks so what I'm going to do is have the guy that sets up the suspension on my off road race bikes install the springs and play around with the valving a little bit while he's at it and see if I can get the forks dialed in a little better.

Bruce

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hi Bruce-
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in how the suspension mods work out. Please keep us posted on the results.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading some info on Gadget's Fix It Page
( Gadget's Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair ) ( Progressive Shock Unbind ) ( 2000 KAWASAKI NOMAD FI PROGRESIVE FORK SPRING INSTALL ) it would seem that the install is easy, but not a 'bolt on'. But what ever really is?

The forks will be the biggest challenge though. My guy, Bruce Triplett ( Home Page ) , is a genius when it comes to setting up suspension for woods bikes. I have gotten so spoiled that I refuse to ride a new bike until after he has done the forks and shock. He has a system called the "Terrain Tamer" for forks that is nothing short of pure magic. Obviously the forks on the Nomad are no where near as sophisticated as the 46mm Ohlins, KYB's and WP's I've had him do in the past, and the action of a short travel street fork is going to be waaaay different than those of a long travel off road fork, but I have high hopes for this.

The plans are to have the spring 'loaded' just enough to hold the bike up with less than an inch of initial laden sag, then adjust the valving so that the first 1/4 to 1/3 of total travel is fairly compliant, then get progressively stiffer as the fork goes thorough it's stroke. We haven't gotten into the internals of the forks yet, but we're hoping that we'll be able to find a Race Tech Gold Valve that will fit, otherwise we'll have to make a valve stack or try to modify the stock one.

Glad I've got a spare set of forks...

Wish me luck!

Bruce

·
Registered
16 Posts
Progressive suspension components ROCK!! I recently installed the Progressive Fork Springs and 412 HD on my '96 Voyager XII. I also used 20 weight oil in the front forks. It made a huge difference in how this bike handles in the twisty stuff and under braking. As you know the Voyager is big heavey touring bike. It no longer nose dives under braking, and it will corner like some of the sport bikes. It holds the line in corners much better than before, no more see-sawing back and forth on the handlebars. I have the rear shocks set to the second click on preload, and the bike no longer wallows around in rough corners. The bike is now has a very controled ride.
I was coming off one of the freeways here going onto the interstate. Their was a sport bike rider slightly ahead of me in the right lane on the right hander. I was going about 65 I just moved into the left lane came around him. He did a double take seeing an old guy on bagger coming around him with it really heeled over.
Marty

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd post an update.

The 'Nad is up on a jack, the seats, bags and fuel tank removed for easy access and to insure no damage is done. My son and I have begun the winter projects on both it and his FZ6.

Thus far we have removed the reed valves, air pump and associated lines and installed a set of Baron's block off plates. This was fairly easy to do and I'm really happy with how doing this cleaned up the looks of the engine.

Next we removed the stock horns and replaced them with a pair of 115 db aftermarket ones. They are fairly large in size, so we had to relocate them to the front lower part of the frame, just inside the rear master cylinder reservoir and behind the shifter/front inspection sticker plate. We had to custom make mounts out of aluminum and then extend the stock wiring, but it really wasn’t that big of a deal to do. They are almost completely hidden from view except for the ‘trumpet’ of each horn that blend in perfectly at the frame and engine guard mounts. In fact, they look like little air scoops! Again, I’m really pleased with the way the job turned out. I suppose I should really fess up here as saying ‘we’ isn’t really correct. My son and I scoped out the project and ‘roughed’ it out, but I came home from work the next day and he had it done! At any rate, they are EXTREMELY loud and should get the attention of anyone I feel needs to be alerted to my presence.

We then moved on to the rear shock install. It wasn’t any big deal, but just as was mentioned in the article on Gadget’s web page the bushing sleeves were too long and had to be ground down in order for the shocks to move freely and not get in a bind. I’ll go ahead and mention that I’m impressed with the way the shocks look and their apparent quality. No test ride yet though…

The game plan is to get the forks down to my suspension guy this week-end so that he can begin his “sypherin’” and see what can we can and can’t do. At the very least we’ll install the springs and change the oil.

More to come later!

Bruce

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I've considered this, but can't decide whether to go with the HD or not.
When I ride 2-up, I definitely need the HD.... bottom out the stockers all the time even with the air pumped up to max (42psi)... but solo, I'm afraid the ride would be too harsh. I'm probably 50:50 2-up.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I called and talked to the tech dept at Progressive I was told that they would suggest HD's for anyone that rides two up half the time or more, or if solo the rider weighed in at 200 lbs or more. I definately fit the bill on both counts.

The key thing here is the spring rate though, and these are rated as 140/200's. The sad thing here is I'm not fimiliar with dual shock spring rates anymore as all our race bikes have single rear shocks. But 'back in the day' when I weighed 150 lbs soaking wet and with all my gear on I used 90/120's on my Boge Mulholland's on the Elsinore, and later non-progressively wound 150's on the RM's.

I'd suggest either doing a web search for a spring rate chart (Progressive, Race Tech, Elka, Ohlins, ect) or call Progressive directly and discuss it with them.

Bruce

·
2,220 Posts
Thanks for the update, Bruce.
If you set up a photobucket account (free image hosting) you'll be able to post as many photos as you want.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, Bruce, if you're a suspension dealer, can you get us a decent price on the springs? I'm needing to replace both the front and rear on my 1500.
Dave,

Unfortunately, I work for one of those dealerships that give the industry a bad name. Because of that, and not wanting you folks to think I was trying to spam the site or something is why I've not mentioned my industry ties much.

However, if there is anything I can do to help you I most certainly will, and will let you know if I'm not able to help as well.

Shoot me a pm or email with the stats on what your needing and I'll let you know what I can do.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the update, Bruce.
If you set up a photobucket account (free image hosting) you'll be able to post as many photos as you want.
Actually I do have a photobucket account and posted the pics from there.

I guess I should have provided a link to it instead of posting them directly?

I'm soooo new to this picture posting deal... See, I got my wife a digital camera for Christmas and we're still learning all this mexapixal stuff... :mrgreen:

·
2,220 Posts
Actually I do have a photobucket account and posted the pics from there.

I guess I should have provided a link to it instead of posting them directly?

I'm soooo new to this picture posting deal... See, I got my wife a digital camera for Christmas and we're still learning all this mexapixal stuff... :mrgreen:
you are correct sir. If you click your cursor on the IMG code line under your image in photobucket, it should copy the link info. Then you just paste it into the message you're posting here. If you use the "go advanced" button, it gives you a chance to preview the linkage to make sure it works.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to Skewterdewd I'm getting a little more savy about this picture posting stuff.

I deleted all my other posts and am reposting the pics here. Hopefully I've got this figured out now.

Nomad on lift.

Installed shock.

Oringinal shock next to new one.

One of the new horns.

Rear cylinder block off plate.

Front cylinder block off plate. Air pump removed.

Inside right side 'air cleaner housing' showing air pump hose removal and block off.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice to have you in the 21st century Bruce! :D
It's kinda scary, but I'm adjusting...

Next you need to cover over that crossover tube, get a round K&N filter, and a Moroso chrome cover! ;)
Got the round K&N, and thought about some sort of cover for the pipe. But I had no idea Moroso made air filter covers! :wink: Gotta have one! :mrgreen:

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Not real sure about your model. I think some of them are now 9 inch? On my 01 Classic, I followed the Coyote Kit on the gadget website. it's an 8 1/2 inch filter and Moroso kit. It had the specific part numbers and everything. Then I followed the directions to remove the left side cover and crossover tube and on the right side, put a cover plate over the back. On the left side, I relocated my horn to there and have a chrome farkle there to cover it. it works well for me. I never understood the engineering that called for the air to filter on the left side, then cross over between the engine, then make the curve into the carb intake.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts