Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
If I could get it. Could you help me get it on my truck?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tell me when and an address and I'll be there.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Ok as of now I'm high bidder.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
1 day left! Are you excited?
Excited?!? Naww. I'm just checking on it every 15 minutes the whole time I'm home and awake. My first time.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Good thing Ebay isn't nookie. With all the bad buys that go on there, a lot of people would remain a virgin for life!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Now you've gone and got my wife laughing too!:biggrin:
Yup.... eBay virgin.

Learn to snipe. I've only lost 2 auctions by sniping.

Don't bid early... it only gives others a chance to run the price up.

Decide how much it is worth to you, then round it up to some oddball price, like if it's worth $400, decide on something like $427.54.

Don't place the bid.

When the auction is ready to close (last 3-5 minutes), open two browser windows... one to the auction page, then open a 2nd one. In the 2nd one, make sure you're logged in, select "bid now" and input the price and enter. The next screen is the bid confirmation... DON'T confirm.

Now, start refreshing the other window... this will give you the countdown, as well as show what is happening with other bids in the last minutes.

At 3-5 seconds before auction close, go back to the other window and confirm your bid. If you are outbid, oh well... remember, you already bid what you think it's worth. If you WOULD HAVE bid more, then you should have.

OTOH, everyone else bidding will suddenly see your bid, but they won't have time to increase theirs.

There are servers out there such as esnipe that will do this for you, but you have to give them your ebay ID and password... I won't do that.

·
Dead man walking
1,994 Posts
I agree with Rich on sniping, and go your highest you'd go at the last second.

However, my preferred method to "confirm" is different. I refresh a page incessantly until the last 32 or so seconds. I refresh the page, and as soon as it shows me the time left (32 seconds, 27 seconds, 35 seconds, etc.), I hit the chronograph on my wrist watch. I place the bid and sit on the confirm page in those last 15 seconds.

I wait for my chronograph to reach the total time left, and give myself 2-3 seconds for leniency, and then confirm. Make changes as you see fit for your connection. I won my last bike by 3 seconds with two other motivated people to get it (the last bid was 3 seconds within mine, so he was doing the same thing), but I won.

I don't like the two browser idea simply because it could get clustered up and you might click the wrong browser in the heat of the moment or you might close or click something wrong. I prefer to focus concentration on one source.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I'm out bid now. Still might do the snipe thing. Just thinking of that 5+ hr drive to get it. One way. I think I need to talk with the war department.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, good luck on what ever you decide to do.

I agree with you on the drive time. I typically don't even look past 150 miles away from home unless it's an unbelievable, once in a life time deal. I can usually find another deal closer if I just keep looking and show patience.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
D-day, thats about the same thing I do too. I've lost one bid with that method but they went over my max so it was no biggie. I got a better exhaust for $7 less the following week so that made me happy.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
What the crap? "Wris****ch" is censored?
LOL... Sometimes the censors are set to pick up words not surrounded by other chanacters and sometimes they are set to pick up those that are... one common way to get around the filters is to add characters around the offending word like "#". On a case by case basis, particular words can be removed from the filter, like petcock, but in your case, wris-t-w-a-t-ch, guess what got picked up :biggrin:

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
It's all good. I had my fun bidding and was spared the trip by another bidder. Just did a mapquest (which I should have done first). 7 hr 44 min. one way! Oops. I'll wait for a closer deal.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
You have learned how to hunt, another target will come along eventually. Give it another month, people will look in their garages and start unloading things

1 - 20 of 21 Posts