Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 253 Posts

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
sure taller riser would do, but of course the taller you go the more of the low and mean look you lose 8). The key seems to be in finding bars with the right amount of center width and just enuf pull back. My bars have a 10" center and 6" pull back, where as most others I looked at had an 8" center which obviously wouldn't work because the bends for the pull back would start an inch closer to center.

·
Bobber Lover
319 Posts
What brand model and size did you use on the front and rear wide white wall tires. The tires and bike overall is really starting to look great.

Thanks for posting all of these pictures so far.

DC

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tires are Dunlop Cruisemax
Front: 130/90-16
Rear: 150/80-16

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Kawasaki Vulcan 800

Pssst.... Don't tell the others where you found all your cool parts. They'll never know.... :)
I haven't got anything from BCB, dont really like those rounded fenders and they are way over priced IMHO for suff that is easy get locally or just fabricate myself.:roll: Plus I'm having way more fun sourcing and building parts on my own then just buying a complete "kit" that bolts on and is done in 1 day. To me half the fun is in the build...

·
Bobber Lover
319 Posts
I haven't got anything from BCB, dont really like those rounded fenders and they are way over priced IMHO for suff that is easy get locally or just fabricate myself.:roll: Plus I'm having way more fun sourcing and building parts on my own then just buying a complete "kit" that bolts on and is done in 1 day. To me half the fun is in the build...
I love the rounded fenders like Blue Collar Bobbers sells but I too think that they are a bit pricey. If anyone knows where I can get the rounded fenders at a better price I am all ears. I would like to order my fenders ASAP so let me know if you have another source.

Thanks

DC

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't buy the BCB fender kit. Buy this steel fender blank and cut your own.

Steel Fender Blank For The Custom Bike Builder 6 Inches Wide Front Application 13 3/8 Radius 16 Inch Wheels - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories

You will be glad you did. The BCB fender hangs way over the sides of the tire and it's aluminum. You can buy this blank and about $15-20 of flat bar and bolts from home depot and end up with a better looking fender for about half the cost of the BCB kit. You can also have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and not just bolting on some "custom" parts from a kit.

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey Mike - thanks for the idea of using the t-nuts to mount the signals, hopefully I can get all my lights wired up this week. I did take a quick spin around the block this wknd, havent even washed the blue of the tires yet but I couldn't wait...

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
NO TURNING BACK....

Well Ive been thinking about it and finally said what the hell...

Cut off the stock cross member and all that extra plastic, I really does clean up that area nice.
Now I'm gonna dive into the wiring

gotta rip out all this junk, so I can move the ignitor to the right side

I can get the seat so much lower without that factory cross member, I love it...

·
girl watcher
385 Posts
whatcha gonna do for a back fender? Doesn't look like you have much of an arch on the back of the seat to hold you on when you have it sitting low like that. Wouldn't be a good time to slide off the back with no back fender over the tire.
bike is looking cool.

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
ya, you could definately say goodbye to your balls if you slid off the back of the seat with no fender... Im going to lower the front of the seat a bit and the rear will come up when I get a cross member for the springs in there. Ive been thinking of ditching the 3" close-pin springs for a set of 5" coil springs which would bring the rear of the seat up too. as far as clearance, it seems the top of the swingarm moves forward more than up when the suspension cycles, so I should be OK. I have a fender in my garage, but I guess I have been working from the front of the bike toward the rear so I will get to it sooner or later...

·
Project Bobber
450 Posts
Liking the look so far dude... I love the white walls, I think they finish a bobber. Tyres have always been important to me for grip on race bikes, but on bobbers its all about style. I think you have to go with White walls or go the big black jobbies like zero has which really look good on his project.

Keeps the thoughts and photos coming

·
girl watcher
385 Posts
ya, you could definately say goodbye to your balls if you slid off the back of the seat with no fender... Im going to lower the front of the seat a bit and the rear will come up when I get a cross member for the springs in there. Ive been thinking of ditching the 3" close-pin springs for a set of 5" coil springs which would bring the rear of the seat up too. as far as clearance, it seems the top of the swingarm moves forward more than up when the suspension cycles, so I should be OK. I have a fender in my garage, but I guess I have been working from the front of the bike toward the rear so I will get to it sooner or later...
I have the 3" (maybe 3.5") close-pins on mine. they have made it a real pain in the a$$ getting mounted due to the coil of the springs sticking out and wanting to hit the fender. 5" coil springs sound pretty tall to me, but you might like them. Do you know how you wwant to do the brace yet? I wanted to weld a brace flush with the top of the frame when I started. Seems like there is always other things popping up like, what if the swing arm hits, what if I don't leave it rigid. I may end-up loosing the close-pin springs before it's all over and going with the coil springs as well. I thought about it before as it would allow the seat to be moved back another inch or so and give more lleg room. Be keeping an eye on you to see how you do this.
BTW: until you get the rear fender i'm calling your bike "Nutless" haha

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Re: Project "NUTLESS"

Project Nutless gave me a pretty good laugh, Thanks Cike...I actually worked on the fender for a bit this afternoon, got the front set up good, just need to swing by the hardware store tomorrow and pick up some material for the struts. What size thread is that bung below the axle nut? I plan to use that for the lower strut mount.

In other news, they say pulling the emissions equipment wont increase performance, but this has got to be at least 2 lbs of crap.... thats gotta be worth some extra git up n go :lol:

·
girl watcher
385 Posts
I think it was 12mm don't remember the thread though but i remember it was something odd. I think I found one at the home depot. (if you have one where your at)

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Now getting ready to wrap my pipes (V&H straight shots) and ran in to a bit of an issue. The rear clamp that holds the heat shield on also clamps the muffler section onto the head pipe. I want to wrap past that point but didn't want to wrap over a big ugly clamp that would look like crap. So off came the shield with all the clamps and I just welded the front and back pipe sections together. now to wrap...:)

·
law don't go 'round here
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
the key is to hone your skills in places that wont show, the pipes will be wraped 8)

21 - 40 of 253 Posts