Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe there is another thread here regarding this topic, and if so, maybe someone can direct me there. I am curious about the proper fit of a helmet. I have one that goes on snug but once my head is inside, it feels too big. I also have one that is snug going on and snug when I wear it. By measuring my head it appears that the snug one is the correct fit.

Any opinions on this?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Should be snug.
For a 1/2 helmet, it should not be able to be "knocked off" from an upward impact to the rear base. Likewise, an impact to the forehead should not expose your head above the eyebrows.

For a fullface, put it on and attempt to "shake" it. Your head should move with the lid. If the lid moves independently of your head, it's either too big, or is not properly fitted.

I have a VERY hard time fitting a FF lid. Shoei fits okay. If I get an Arai or Troy Lee, if the neck opening is big enough for my head, the thing fits like an old stretched out pair of boxers... WAY loose. I can try on 20 lids and not find one that is truly comfortable.

If it's TOO tight, you're going to get a headache.
If it's too loose, you might get a much worse headache :wink:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich. That answers my question. I appreciate your input.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Just something to think about. If you are wearing a half or 3/4 helmet and it is loose, the wind will push it up and back. This creates drag which in turn leads to fatigue.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Should be snug.
For a 1/2 helmet, it should not be able to be "knocked off" from an upward impact to the rear base. Likewise, an impact to the forehead should not expose your head above the eyebrows.

For a fullface, put it on and attempt to "shake" it. Your head should move with the lid. If the lid moves independently of your head, it's either too big, or is not properly fitted.

I have a VERY hard time fitting a FF lid. Shoei fits okay. If I get an Arai or Troy Lee, if the neck opening is big enough for my head, the thing fits like an old stretched out pair of boxers... WAY loose. I can try on 20 lids and not find one that is truly comfortable.

If it's TOO tight, you're going to get a headache.
If it's too loose, you might get a much worse headache :wink:
Rich explains it very well. Buy on the tight side never the loose side, some tight ones take 2-3 months to fit perfectly. Every brand will fit differently. My head fits Fullmer very well.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks SNWFLk303 and Plasma

I just got a new one. It is a KBC and it fits snug. I did not know there was a break in on them. My other helmet was never snug and I can shake my head and it moves dome. OMG...maybe it is my brain rattling around in there and not my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Thanks SNWFLk303 and Plasma

I just got a new one. It is a KBC and it fits snug. I did not know there was a break in on them. My other helmet was never snug and I can shake my head and it moves dome. OMG...maybe it is my brain rattling around in there and not my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek: :shock: :lol: :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts