Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,,

Names Matt, I am new here so hi how are ya. Long time listener first time caller or soemthing.J/K have been lurking here for some time, and site rocks..

Anyhow my delima is I have a 92 Vulcan 88 with a nessed up clutch. Onlyi can not figure out where its messed up at.. If you go to take off and let the clutch out its nothing, nothing, nothing, then BAM its fully enguaged. Not feathering at all. Almost like a on/off switch.. Now I took it to a local shop and they charged me 75 bucks and said the slave cylinder was bad and the master cylinder was bad. So I replaced the slave with a new unit, and rebuilt the master. While i was in there and it was only 15 dollars I replaced the clutch rod also.. all to no avial.. Stil does the same thing.. So any ideas on what might be my problem here???

Thanks
Matt

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Welcome Matt. I do not know much about your bike but louder pipes may help :) could'nt hurt!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has pipes on it, look like a 1 1/2 to 2in into a 3in collector.. Pretty loud.. But sound does me little good if it tries to snap my neck when I take off lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
I honestly don't know what your problem might be without actually looking at it myself, but it sounds almost like the clutch is binding up on something....something bent or twisted mabye? Springs? I dunno.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your in Charleston SC.. So am I.. What part? I live in North Charleston behind the Bosch plant..

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Can you feel the clutch start to engage as you release the lever....How far before it starts to engage? Or how far does the lever have to be pulled in to disengage the clutch? Thinking maybe a simple adjustment! Bleeding the system, to make sure you're getting full movement. No feathering also sounds like worn out clutch.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
What kind of oil are you using in the engine? Is it rated for a wet clutch? (I'm no mechanic, just some ideas.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clutch goes about half way out, not really any adjusyments on a hydro clutch is there? I pulled the cover off and the friction disks look good. I was hoping I would find a notch or two in the basket so I could at least know the cause, but nothing. System has been bleed 5 times there is 0 air in it, I feel like I am up aginst a wall with this one. Everyhting seems to be working fine. with the cover of the clutch seems to operate as it sohuld, pressure plate opens and closes with ease, I dont get it. Was really hoping someone had come across this befor..

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Sounds like you have something binding. I can't think of anything else that would cause that type of "on/off" problem.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Does it do it in every gear or just first?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I have it figured out, will know tomorrow when I get the clutch hub put back on. After taking it all back apart again, I found the fingers in the clutch basket to have some slight groving in them. From working on old Triuphs I remember this causing the clutch plates to stick untill all the force of the clutch was applied thus causing the same problem I am having.. Anyhow I took a file and smothed everything out and will reinstall it tomorrow.. Will let yall know.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Did you measure the clutch springs to see if they are the same length and check the clutch plates on a sheet of glass by tapeing a sheet of wet dry sand paper to a piece of glass and laping in a figure 8 for trueness.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
There's only one clutch spring and if the fingers are grooved then the spring is in need of replacement. Pretty inexpensive part.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Pulling my hair out need some expert help

Don't pull, just give it a quick yank.:eek: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts