Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i picked up a 1996 zl600 Eliminator over the weekend. It had set for about 2 years and wouldnt run without the choke on and barley at that. So i took the carbs off and dissassembled them, dipped them re assembled them and re installed. This is my first bike so i am a newbie coming over from the car world. Anyway, now it starts with full choke and revs to about 5000 rpm, push the choke in and may die, or may idle for a few seconds at about 800 to 1000 rpm then die, its kind of random. If you go to hit the throttle it dies. It is just running out of fuel. I took the selector valve off the tank, dissassembled it and cleaned it, it was caked up with varnish. I thought cool that was the problem, but nope, same symptoms. I thought it may be a vacuum leak but i just dont see many places it could leak. One thing, i am running without an airbox, as i cant figure out how to get it back in, it seems the box can co in with no carbs, or the carbs with no box, whats the secret? Anyone know where ican get a good service manual? Anyway, i have a feeling this is something totally stupid. Thanks again!!

Wayne

·
Registered
95 Posts
Motorcycle carbs are a lot more sensitive than car carbs and will NOT run right with factory jetting and no airbox. The airbox is an engineered restriction. The airbox goes into the frame first, without carb boots. The carbs mount to the motor next. The boots from the airbox to the carbs go on last, and are installed from inside the airbox. You may have to soak the boots in boiling water if they've gotten hard over time. The best manuals are Kawasaki's and are available through any dealer (you may want to price new boots while you're there).

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
well your off to a good start.
first off- did you COMPLETELY DISSASEMBLE THE CARBS BEFORE SOAKING THEM (all rubber/plastic/brass part out/off of the carbs :?: ) im asking because if you didnt and you soaked the carbs too long you may have ate up some seals/o-rings etc.
what did you soak the carbs in ? how long did you soak them ?
good call on the petcock, but now you need to go even further by cleaning the tank more than likely. is the tank RUST free inside ?
is the petcock VACUMN operated (rubber line from the petcock to one of the carb intakes) is the rubber vacumn line solid (not cracked etc)
are the carb boots still solid (not cracked etc)
are you getting good fuel flow from the petcock ?
did you run a wire thru the IDLE JETS (pilot jets) if not then you may have not got all the blockage/dirt out of them. did you blow air thru them ? did you LOOK thru them ? did you set your float height ? did you check the needle/seat for damage/dirt ?
lots to check. get a service manual from your dealer and work from there. if you have car experience you will be ok with the carbs if you follow the manual.
good luck :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts