Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a used 1500 Classic with the current style. I was looking to purchase a Fuel Injection model instead of Carburetion. What year did they start offering Fi? Are there any years to stay away from? Has the Fi models had any problems? I was told that the Fi and Carb models do not have the same chassis specifications. Is this true? And due to this, that the Carb models handle better than the Fi models? Thanks for the help! Mark

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome mark :wink:

i believe 2000 was the first year for fi on the 1500 classic
years 97 and up seem to be the best since all the bugs were worked out-not that there
were very many.
fi system is fine as far as i know
the bikes do not share the same frame specs-the frame tubes are larger as is the steering head assembly-other differences include higher compression motor which will require
premium grade fuel,about a 2hp increase over carbed model,ecu controls engine and can be re-mapped for intake/exhaust mods easily,holds about 1 gallon more gas than the carb bike
there are a few issues with certain aftermarket items that won't fit both models.

both bikes are great and its really a matter of personal preferance as to which one to choose
i like fi bikes and imo think you would be very happy with either one-they run great!!

here are the specs on the fi model - hope this helps - good luck :wink:

Engine type: 4-stroke V-Twin, SOHC, 8-valve
Displacement 1,470cc
Bore x Stroke: 102.0 x 90.0mm
Cooling: Liquid
Induction: Mitsubishi Digital Fuel Injection
with dual 36mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital with Throttle Responsive
Ignition Control (K-TRIC)
Transmission: 5-speed
Frame: High tensile steel, double cradle
Rake/trail: 32 degrees/6.4 in.
Suspension, front: 41mm hydraulic fork
Suspension, rear: Dual hydraulic shocks, 5-way preload
adjustable
Wheel travel, front: 5.9 in.
Wheel travel, rear: 3.7 in.
Tire, front: 130/90x16
Tire, rear: 150/80x16
Brakes, front/rear: Dual hydraulic disc/ Single disc
Overall length: 98.6 in.
Overall width: 39.2 in.
Overall height: 44.9 in.
Ground clearance: 4.9 in.
Seat height: 27.6 in.
Dry weight: 659 lbs
Fuel capacity: 5.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 65.6 in.
Color: Candy Cardinal Red/Pearl Gentry Gray,
Pearl Purplish Black Mica

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Bikeaholic!
It's interesting that Kawasaki did not offer a Fi 1500 Classic in 2003 or 2004, just Carburetion. It looks like the Fi 1500 Classic specs are very similar to the Drifter Model. Do you think it's true what I was told that the Carb model handles better than the Fi? Thanks again for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts