Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: This is actually about my brother's 04 Honda 1100 Spirit. Engine starts and runs great until you drop it in gear then the engine stops just like you had turned the key off or hit the kill switch. I asked him did he have the kickstand down he said it did not have kill switch in the kickstand but that he had tried with kickstand down and up. Engine dies when it is placed in gear. I thought it might need a clutch cable adjustment and that was choking the engine but that was not the problem. The bike will sit and idle great and revs well until you put it in gear. We had ridden about 250 miles a couple of weeks ago and his bike performed well.

If any of you have any ideas or have experienced this same problem, please respond. I hate for him to have to pay for service at the local Honda dealer if is something simple he can fix himself.

Thanks for your help

·
Red Lodge Approved
1,732 Posts
my first move would be to follow the kickstand route.. just because its up, doesnt mean the switch is picking up on that.. im not familiar with that bike, but i would clean/check the switch that send the positive sig. that the stand is up..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would almost be willing to guarantee that any 2004 model bike has a kickstand kill switch, whether he realizes it or not.

Does the bike just lurch forward a little bit before it shuts off, does it make a huge thunk like the engine is siezed.

If it doesn't do either of those things i'd put my money on the kickstand kill switch.

Here is a working link http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0359/stand/stand.cfm

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
sounds exactly like what my kickstand switch did to me. I'd get the switch looked at

·
Registered
302 Posts
kamafool,
Honda has a different kill switch than the Kawasaki's. It's in the clutch if I remember correctly from my 03' Shadow Spirit. When You have the kickstand down and put the bike in gear it kills the engine. But instead of the switch being located on the kickstand like our kawasaki's the switch is located I think on or close to the clutch lever ( this is a Honda patent). I'm sure if he has an owners manual it should tell how it operate's.
Hope This Helps!
Lonestar

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
suzuki has a switch that will kill the bike even if the clutch is in if you put the kickstand down while in gear
it all seems to point back to the kickstand

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Try the safety switch as mentioned above...could be in kickstand or in clutch lever. Check to make sure that the clutch is actuating properly...when you pull the lever is it operating the clutch rod...can you feel any change when you pull the lever ....could be the cable is bad or the clutch actuating mechanism. When you pull in the clutch and engage the gear does it make any noises? good Luck!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the killswitch is located on kickstand,and the spring is weak it might not register to the switch. Make sure the kickstand is up all the way. I had this problem on a Suzuki once.Sometimes it would connect, and sometimes it would'nt.Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts