Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input appreciated. Bike will be in an unheated environment (in and around Boston where I am this means temps down to around 10F). Bought some Stabil and plan on filling the tank, then popping the bike on the center stand, but am unsure about what kinds of things I should do as preventative stuff. In years past with other bikes, I simply left it. A bit older and less prone to just blowing things off, I'd like to be smarter about this, especially since I dumped some money on the bike recently, and am hoping for a headache free wake up come spring.

TIA for suggestions/help.

L

·
Rider
561 Posts
Don't put it away yet. (We still have a few more riding days left thanks to global warming :lol: ). The GF and I were out on the bikes earlier this evening, (up on Rt.1 in Lynnfield shopping). Last winter, I stored my bike outside under a cover. We filled the tank, put in some Stabil and started it every couple of weeks. This year I'm buying a storage building and parking it when we get snow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, a local. :) Yeah, I hear you that it certainly can be done, but the enjoyment factor for me fades when it's under 40F or so. Back in HS I rode year round, including in the *snow* on my '75 RD-350 chainsaw, but I like to think I've gotten a bit smarter with age. The other day I was out when it was 28F, and I decided that day to wrap it up for the season.

Thanks for the responses, in any event.

L

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't put it away yet. (We still have a few more riding days left thanks to global warming :lol: ). The GF and I were out on the bikes earlier this evening, (up on Rt.1 in Lynnfield shopping). Last winter, I stored my bike outside under a cover. We filled the tank, put in some Stabil and started it every couple of weeks. This year I'm buying a storage building and parking it when we get snow.

I started out this morning, which wasn't very smart. Got to where I was going and cooled it for a bit so the ice could melt off the roads. It was nice though.

·
Rider
561 Posts
We might take the bikes out tomorrow morning before the next snow storm hits the Boston area. (This is why you don't put your bike away too early).

·
Rider
561 Posts
The bikes wouldn't start on their own. We had to put a battery charger on the batteries for a few minutes, but both bikes started. It was cold out, but
it felt good being on the bike. It's been over a month. We rode over to Nahant and saw another bike at the Tides. Too bad there's snow on the roads today. I can't wait until it warms up so we can go riding again.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
No such thing as global warming...It is called cycles. If there were, my heating bill would be less every year...It is not.:mrgreen:

·
Rider
561 Posts
I have an ideal.... everyone just move down here to texas... the current temp outside is...... 59 F.... glory!

No, thanks. I love the way the seasons change up here.

Cycles, yeah right. It's going to be mid 40's this Saturday so it's totally possible to go riding in the morning and ski in the afternoon.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
No such thing as global warming...It is called cycles. If there were, my heating bill would be less every year...It is not.:mrgreen:
No, they just keep jacking up the rates to compensate! :biggrin:

·
Rider
561 Posts
Took the bikes out this afternoon. 34 degrees out in the Boston area today. (I had to throw the battery charger on my bike for a little while, but it finally started). We got alot of looks from the other people out on the road. This is why you don't put your bike away for the winter. Year round riding in New England. :biggrin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is why you don't put your bike away for the winter. Year round riding in New England. :biggrin:
Year round, huh? Out buzzing around again today, are you? 3"-6" of the white stuff coming down today. You ride over from E to downtown, I'll buy you lunch and take your picture for you. Me, no thanks. Come April, I'll put it back on the road and call it good. I rode year round as a kid (including in the snow) opn my Yamaha 2 stroke., but am a bit older, a)nd a lot smarter now. Whatever sets your pond on fire, though... :)

·
Rider
561 Posts
We went out on the bikes on Saturday around Nahant. It snowed yesterday, but we only got about an inch or two. I wanted to take the bike out again right after work, but I got busy on the computer. (I kept fogging up my face shield the other night).

I like talking to local riders in this forum. Stay in touch so we can go riding together in April.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
1. Crank bike
2. Drive south
3. Stay south until Spring
4. Return to frozen tundra

J/K - :) Have fun a we'll check on you in the Spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts